Please please help with carpet cleaners....

I am a rookie... Had a little flood in the basement and the areas which were 'wet' are now discolored... With respect to the professional carpet cleaners out there, do the sub-$300 consumer steamers do as good a job? I don't even know why the carpet is discolored as it seems it was just water... thanks all!
Kevin Miller Ft Wayne,, IN
Me wrote:

In this case, I suggest you start with your insurance company and follow their advice. If you have no insurance (time to get some) then call in the professionals. Depending on where you are, you may find disaster-flood recovery companies that have experience with your problem. If not, then call in the professional carpet cleaners.
Keep in mind, it may have been damaged and no kind of cleaning or treatment may work. Also keep in mind the longer you wait the greater chance it will be permanent.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Discoloring and any smell are likely mold. Carpet cleaners wont help once mold grows. If its been wet for more than 2 days you should junk it. You could try cleaning it but products to kill mold will probably damage the carpet. Call your insurance co and carpet pros