PLEASE HELP Contractor NOW wants money!!! (little long)

Page 2 of 3
Commercial contract with???
15 years ago?... just to get some firewood? Ya gotta be kidding me!
Yea, maybe I "dragged my ass" because I could only afford weekend help from my neighbor... BUT, he sure dragged HIS ass in explaining the charges!!!!!
DaddyMonkey wrote:

That was "contact", not "contract". There is a difference.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Making your point with-in other peoples type-o's is a very poor excuse for debate.
DaddyMonkey wrote:

You are either an accomplished troll or a freakin' idiot.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
First you retort to typo errors, now, insults.
Look who's being a "troll" in this situation

I vote for the second. I can't believe this guy is still carrying on about this incident. He is clearly in the wrong but keeps fishing for someone to tell him different. Then he can't even keep it in the same thread.
Harry K
True... I am an idiot. LOL
If I had only known before-hand of the charges, it would have put a fire under my A$$, and got me moving quicker. The weather hasn't been his fault, nor mine.
A bill of almost $600 (for out of nowhere) seems like a slap-in-the-face. But, like I said before, I'm an old country boy... and fair is fair in my book.
Life can throw ya some curve-balls. Things seem to come from out of nowhere. (remember Sept.11)
My wife of 27+ years is still the prettiest girl I've met! The 2-point-3 kids have new shoes/clothes and are back in school, and we are all healthy and happy...
When I look at the "big picture" , and how much God has truly blessed me, and the "curve-balls" that can come within life... I guess I have been lucky--- so far.
A 600 dollar "curve-ball" seems small when I look at the big picture.
My best wishes to all that replied, David
"DaddyMonkey" wrote

By reconizing your good fortune, you're truly richer than many millionaires.
True! God has given me many more blessings then I can count!
I consider myself a "good ol' country boy"... Life has been very good to me, so far!
I think I'm gonna suck-up and pay this man, life is too short to argue over 600 bucks.
My father once told me, " If you feel like life is pacing-by too quickly, just wait until you reach your 40's". I am 44, dad is gone
My best wishes, Dave
True. This contractor and I need to come to an agreement... but in all honesty, I'm a little spooked to start signing papers now, this late in the game.
It IS HIS trailer and my sheds have not been relocated. I really don't want to get 'snotty' with him because he still has to move my sheds after the the yard is levelled. Most all of my sheds continents are within his trailer... he could 'jerk' this trailer out from under me at any minute.

In most cases that's true but here from what he says there was no contract at all oral or otherwise. Without any mention of compensation for the use of the trailer it's a loan.

How do you figure a contract exists? According to the OP there was no fee set for use of the trailer.
Splitting the price does sound like the gentleman thing to do.. thanks xeriod!
However, this is someone that I have only dealt with once before. And that was 15 years ago, just to buy firewood... I doubt I'll be buying a shed from him anytime soon.
I liked the comment about charging HIM storage fees for having HIS trailer on MY property!!! Although I'm SURE it won't stand-up in Court... thank you for making me chuckle through this!!!!!
Can't thank you enough Xeroid!
Your advice was right on the money (so to speak)... If within court, your judgement would be true and shooting straight!
It's true. I never stated how long I'd need the trailer... and, it's true, the company never stated how long I could use it... No monetary terms where spoken before-hand, so.......
Full price of the shed(s) being moved is expected, and full price of the PROFIT of the trailer is negotiated.
Good job X

You should swallow hard, suck it up and pay the man. The price sounds reasonable from where I sit.
Next time you will know to ask the cost before you contract for services.
I am sorry. I know this is not the answer you wanted.
Colbyt
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:25:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (DaddyMonkey) wrote:

I'd find out what others get for a similar on-site storage trailer rental. Look under "storage" in your Yellow Pages. If his price is in line, pay it, if not, show him what others charge and offer to pay the going rate.
Assuming it's free is a stretch. Here in CT, you'd pay about $100 a month for a storage bin that size, possibly with a minimum rental period, plus you'd have to get your stuff there and back.
Barry
A few years ago, I rented a drop-off trailer, and $89.00 sounds about right to me (mid-atlantic).
To me, it's like a mechanic quoting $200 to replace a waterpump on a car, and then later calling the customer back and saying that there's a $50 per hour storage fee (with NO prior agreement).
When I was on the phone with him I said "I wished we had discussed this earlier" and "I wish we had a contract"...
I did NOT say that I was going to pay him, NOR did I DENY him of payment...
Fair is fair in my book... no problem
..it's just those "out-of-the-blue/you-owe-me" that hurt.
Tell him you are willing to pay him but you had no idea the monthly charge was going to be so high. If he recollects the same as you that it was not pre-negotiated and he is honest he will give you another offer and you have someone honest who you can do business with in the future. If he's a jerk about it then you will pay him and never have anything to do business with him again. By the way, if the guy is old, he could be a bit senile and think that you discussed it. All kinds of wierd things happen in people's brains.

He's about mid-to-late 50's... I'm 44. Good point about about the "senile" thing. Ya never know
I guess if I were to go to court... and I had to put a price of how much it would be worth FOR ME to go through all the hassle and stress... I think the price would be about 500 clams... maybe I should let it rest...
I think I might give him the fair price on the PROFIT of what he'd get on the trailer "rental/loan" and FULL price on the shed placement/movement.
Sound fair enough?
I think this sounds fair... Anyone wish to comment?
P.S. personally, I don't think he has 'beans to stand on' within a court of law!
DaddyMonkey wrote:

To the quick. Especially from someone you dealt with once 15 years ago.
Inserted
"DaddyMonkey" wrote

Ahem. Time frame of 2 months? Oh, nevermind I see you're using your neighbor as an excuse.

What about the 2 months prior to the excuse of weather and all? You acknowledged the long delay. Trust me, we had worse weather than what you explained, and the construction world didn't come to a halt. You took on a responsibility, quit blaming everything. You should really immature by using every excuse you can. Neighbor works weekdays, rain, had a tooth ache, dog ate my homework.

Be a real man, live up to your responsibilities and pay the man _ALL_ the costs. What's up with being half a man? and the other half is nothing but excuses.
You're pathetic!