Please explain this Metric thread size

Page 2 of 2

What puzzles me....
What do you call 2x4 in metric?
How big is a 4' x 8' sheet of metric plywood or drywall?
Isnt is easier to say "2 inch nail" rather than say "50.8 millimeter nail"?
Are foreign women more impressed by a man with a 152.4 millimeter penis than are US women comparing a man with a 6 inch penis?
How the hell do you refer to the pitch of a roof in metric?
How do you say "I wouldn't touch that woman with a ten foot pole" in metric?
Since the foot measurement was devised by the length of the average human foot. Were people born outside the USA born without feet?
What do you call an inchworm in Europe?
If the posted speed limit sign reads 30 in the US and a cop pulls you over for doing 50, will a judge excuse you if you tell him that 30 kilometers per hour is 48.3, so you were driving 1.7 BELOW the limit.
What sounds better? I'd walk a mile for a Camel, or I'd walk 1609.344 meters for a Camel.
Since they dont have yardsticks in the UK, do they have yards surrounding their houses?
Does a metric phillips screwdriver have FIVE points on the tip, rather than four?
If a foreigner blows 50 pounds (money) on beer at the bar, do they tell their friends they lost 50 pounds? If so, what the heck do they say when they actually lose 50 pounds of body weight from dieting?
Why didn't they make a 13mm socket the exact same size as a 1/2 inch socket?
Is a Football called a 30.48 centimeter ball in Europe?
In America you pINCH someone, in the UK, you P2.54centimeter them.
If an American woman's ideal figure is 36-24-36. What the heck do you say in a metric using country? 91.44 - 60.96 - 91.44 really dont sound very sexy!!!! (Unless she's Bigfoot). Uh Oh..... The word "BIGFOOT" cant be used in a metric country, it would be "BIG30.48Centimeter".
On Tue, 10 May 2016 07:23:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Most regular plywood is metric these days. That is why they don't say "1/2 inch" (15/32ds is closer to 12mm) and why it is not exactly 4x8 The only stuff that is still inch sizes is cabinet grade stuff or marine.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo writes:

A stud.

Four feet by eight feet.

Just say 5 cm.
(it's useful to remember that 10cm is roughly 4 inches).

5 in 12 is a dimensionless measurment.
On 05/10/2016 05:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Would you rather be shot with a 9mm or a .38? Of course, the .38 is really .357 and the 9 is .356 so I guess it's a moot point.
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 7:24:27 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:
...there's a signpost up ahead...you've just entered the Moron Zone...population, micky and Mormon.
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 8:24:27 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

No easier than saying 1.97 inches. Which is what the nail would be if it were 50 mm long. The issue is that the nail was created with the English system in mind. Had they created it as a metric nail, then it would have been 50 mm and would be called a 5 centimeter nail. Notice how easy it was to go from millimeters to centimeters, you just move the decimal point. Can you do that when going from sixteenth's of an inch to a foot, yard, or mile.
Per Jack Hammer:

I don't do a lot with tools but when I do I am starting to get frustrated with products that still have SAE nut/bolt/thread sizes.
They say "Old people don't like change"....but I'm older than dirt and this is one change I wish they'd get on with.
--
Pete Cresswell

Then you have the hybrid things. I have some bolts with 1/4-20 threads and 10mm heads.
On 05/10/2016 02:18 AM, Jack Hammer wrote:

With my '86 F150 they did a little of both. At least with my Jap bikes and car I know it's going to be metric. With the Ford and Harley you just never know.
On 05/09/2016 10:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:
[snip]

Since "inch" isn't a metric unit, it would be unlikely it's threads per inch. Maybe threads per millimeter?
[snip]