Please explain this Metric thread size

The threads on a MIG Welder tip are listed as:

M5 x .8 thd

I always have problems understanding metrics.

I know that a 1/4 x 20 bolt means 1/4 inch diameter, 20 threads per inch. That's so easy.

Then they shove metrics into our lives and all hell breaks loose...

I'm going to take a guess,

The "M" means METRIC

The "5" means 5 milimeter (mm)

The ".8" I dont understand at all. It's surely not .8 threads per inch, or that would mean less than one thread per inch.

I'm sure the "thd" means THREAD

I googled this and 5mm is 0.197 inch, which needs a 4.20mm drill size. (NOT what I was looking for)!

Damn, I hate metrics . . . . . . . .

Reply to
Paintedcow

Damn, I hate British Standard Whitworth...

Reply to
rbowman

It is easier than you think The thread pitch is .8mm

The rest of the world would ask WTF is an inch?

Reply to
gfretwell

FWIW, 4.2mm is a lot easier to find in a metric drill index than having to hunt thru fractional drills, number drills and letter drills.

I think the real problem is that US manufacturing doesn't know whether to shit or get off the toilet.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

I had to get used to metric about 25 years ago when I changed jobs. IMO, it is easier to use once you use it. The rest of world is trading amongst itself and the US is sometimes left out because we are different.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What puzzles me....

What do you call 2x4 in metric?

How big is a 4' x 8' sheet of metric plywood or drywall?

Isnt is easier to say "2 inch nail" rather than say "50.8 millimeter nail"?

Are foreign women more impressed by a man with a 152.4 millimeter penis than are US women comparing a man with a 6 inch penis?

How the hell do you refer to the pitch of a roof in metric?

How do you say "I wouldn't touch that woman with a ten foot pole" in metric?

Since the foot measurement was devised by the length of the average human foot. Were people born outside the USA born without feet?

What do you call an inchworm in Europe?

If the posted speed limit sign reads 30 in the US and a cop pulls you over for doing 50, will a judge excuse you if you tell him that 30 kilometers per hour is 48.3, so you were driving 1.7 BELOW the limit.

What sounds better? I'd walk a mile for a Camel, or I'd walk 1609.344 meters for a Camel.

Since they dont have yardsticks in the UK, do they have yards surrounding their houses?

Does a metric phillips screwdriver have FIVE points on the tip, rather than four?

If a foreigner blows 50 pounds (money) on beer at the bar, do they tell their friends they lost 50 pounds? If so, what the heck do they say when they actually lose 50 pounds of body weight from dieting?

Why didn't they make a 13mm socket the exact same size as a 1/2 inch socket?

Is a Football called a 30.48 centimeter ball in Europe?

In America you pINCH someone, in the UK, you P2.54centimeter them.

If an American woman's ideal figure is 36-24-36. What the heck do you say in a metric using country?

91.44 - 60.96 - 91.44 really dont sound very sexy!!!! (Unless she's Bigfoot). Uh Oh..... The word "BIGFOOT" cant be used in a metric country, it would be "BIG30.48Centimeter".
Reply to
Paintedcow

Most regular plywood is metric these days. That is why they don't say "1/2 inch" (15/32ds is closer to 12mm) and why it is not exactly 4x8 The only stuff that is still inch sizes is cabinet grade stuff or marine.

Reply to
gfretwell

Per Jack Hammer:

I don't do a lot with tools but when I do I am starting to get frustrated with products that still have SAE nut/bolt/thread sizes.

They say "Old people don't like change"....but I'm older than dirt and this is one change I wish they'd get on with.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

A stud.

Four feet by eight feet.

Just say 5 cm.

(it's useful to remember that 10cm is roughly 4 inches).

5 in 12 is a dimensionless measurment.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Then you have the hybrid things. I have some bolts with 1/4-20 threads and 10mm heads.

Reply to
gfretwell

With my '86 F150 they did a little of both. At least with my Jap bikes and car I know it's going to be metric. With the Ford and Harley you just never know.

Reply to
rbowman

Would you rather be shot with a 9mm or a .38? Of course, the .38 is really .357 and the 9 is .356 so I guess it's a moot point.

Reply to
rbowman

...there's a signpost up ahead...you've just entered the Moron Zone...population, micky and Mormon.

Reply to
bob_villain

No easier than saying 1.97 inches. Which is what the nail would be if it were 50 mm long. The issue is that the nail was created with the English system in mind. Had they created it as a metric nail, then it would have been 50 mm and would be called a 5 centimeter nail. Notice how easy it was to go from millimeters to centimeters, you just move the decimal point. Can you do that when going from sixteenth's of an inch to a foot, yard, or mile.

Reply to
trader_4

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote in news:veq2jbhppenr460r0ubihpc4qoe1uvglfo@

4ax.com: [...]

How the heck old are you, anyway?? I'm almost 58, have lived in the U.S. my entire life, and I was taught the metric system in grade school. You must be quite a bit older, *and* have never had any education whatever in the sciences. *Everything* is metric in a laboratory. [...]

Get a newer truck. I've owned three vehicles which were mixed, all of them from the mid-

1980s. My 1996 Buick was all metric. So is my wife's 1998 Mustang.

No, not really, it only seems that way to people who don't understand the metric system. Without looking it up:

- how many yards in a mile?

- how many teaspoons in a cup?

- how many gallons in a bushel?

- how many gallons in a cubit foot?

Apparently it has not occurred to you to keep your metric wrenches in a different toolbox...

Reply to
Doug Miller
[snip]

Since "inch" isn't a metric unit, it would be unlikely it's threads per inch. Maybe threads per millimeter?

[snip]
Reply to
Sam E

The you have to carry 2 tool boxes for many jobs. I remember working on a car years ago and part of it was SAE and part Metric.

Not sure of the size of the spark plugs, but I bought a Datsun and the first time I went to change the plugs I thought I would need a metric plug socket. Asked the man at the Autozone parts counter and he did not know. We took out a plug and started checking wrenches,. Found one that was a loose fit. Then on a whim I checked a SAE plug socket and it fit just fine. Did not need one as I had some at home.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Now that is an excellent idea. Thank You!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

A 9/16 plug socket is close enough for government work on 14mm plugs.

Reply to
rbowman

I have a bunch of metric snap on sockets and they all have knurled rings around them to differentiate from SAE

Reply to
gfretwell