plausible using backyard oak to make something ?

Page 1 of 2
I am wondering if it is plausible to use the wood out of an oak tree in the backyard to make something ? How to go about it ? or just forget about it ?
Short version ...
A living oak tree (i think it is a white oak) is in backyard. The base is 10 feet circumference (3 feet diameter) and it is approximately 35-45 feet straight up to first big fork. Tree is too close to house and needs to come down due to a remodel addition. Tree is probably 250-300 years old. Thought it would be cool ( nostalgic ) to make some flooring or furniture or something (ideas ?) out of the wood from the tree since it is so massive.
Is this plausible any other useful ideas welcomed
robb
I am wondering if it is plausible to use the wood out of an oak tree in the backyard to make something ? How to go about it ? or just forget about it ?
Short version ...
A living oak tree (i think it is a white oak) is in backyard. The base is 10 feet circumference (3 feet diameter) and it is approximately 35-45 feet straight up to first big fork. Tree is too close to house and needs to come down due to a remodel addition. Tree is probably 250-300 years old. Thought it would be cool ( nostalgic ) to make some flooring or furniture or something (ideas ?) out of the wood from the tree since it is so massive.
Is this plausible any other useful ideas welcomed
robb
I cut a oak like that in my yard into 10 foot logs and sent them to a sawmill. One of things I made from the lumber was a bathroom vanity cabinet for the house.
robb wrote:

It's a crime to cut down such a tree.
I hope you burn in hell after you die if you cut it down.
I hope it falls the wrong way and cracks your skull on the way down.
Bastard.

Find a sawmill in your area and find out what they recommend for cutting it up. Then do as the previous poster said for cutting it down. Shame!!!!
On 3/15/2011 8:26 PM, Home Guy wrote:

What if he allows you to hug the tree first and reassure it that it will go to lumber heaven after its execution. You could hold a tree service at the saw mill to see the tree's corpse off on its journey to a better place, um places. ^_^
TDD

Over-react much do you? Trees like that are past their prime, this one is in the way and will (if uncut) eventually fall on its own.
Let me guess, you think that thinning trees so they grow better is bad, that noone should ever be allowing into the national forests for any reason, etc. etc. etc. Bet you have card #1 in the greeny movement.
Harry K
I am wondering if it is plausible to use the wood out of an oak tree in the backyard to make something ? How to go about it ? or just forget about it ?
Short version ...
A living oak tree (i think it is a white oak) is in backyard. The base is 10 feet circumference (3 feet diameter) and it is approximately 35-45 feet straight up to first big fork. Tree is too close to house and needs to come down due to a remodel addition. Tree is probably 250-300 years old. Thought it would be cool ( nostalgic ) to make some flooring or furniture or something (ideas ?) out of the wood from the tree since it is so massive.
Is this plausible any other useful ideas welcomed
robb
Build the remodel around it. Now that would be cool. Have a friend in New Mexico that did that, built a circler home around it. Really neat. The trunk was only about 20 inches in diameter. Center room has a tall ceiling. Think TeePee look. ww

So is there a roof over the tree now? Doesn't that hamper its growth?

Seen that done. One person that did it then had squirrels getting into their house. Another had the tree die and then had to pay to have it lifted out of the house with a crane. Stupid idea. Trees belong outside.
"WW" wrote in message
<snip>

Cutting down trees in Austin is touchy business.
The city goes out of the way to preserve the trees by building around them. There are at least 2 houses in my neighborhood that are literally built around trees. I have ancient live oaks on my property. The city would rather bulldoze my house than cut down the trees. The utilities can only trim old trees when they have to. I think it's cool. Austin is a beautiful city.
I find it hard to believe the OP can't make changes in his plans to preserve an old tree if it's healthy. Put the room somewhere else.
Jim

If it is a healthy tree, it would be rather sad to take it down for a re-model. After a few hundred years, of life, no way would I touch it .
Yes, you can cut it with a portable sawmill and dry the wood for a year or two, then use it. Criminal though, just to add a few feet to the house.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:24:31 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I felt bad about cutting down a 60 year old maple that was rooting over my sewer line and clogging my roof gutters. Don't think I could bring myself to cut down that oak unless it was threatening my life.
--Vic
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Thanks for feedback,
It is sad and we are very sad to remove it. We don't want to remove it. We bought... "for the trees" as there are 9 others on this small property and they are about 80 years younger.
I am just going by what the contractor / builder has surmised. The tree is 10 ft from the side of home now (too close originally). They're surprised it didn't die from first build over roots. The C/B also added that this tree is pretty much grown to its full expectancy. The problem is not so much the going out or up a few feet as is the going down and out feet. Builder says it probably will not survive and will be much more expensive hassle to remove later than during the project.
Thanks again I think i'll talk to the contractor/builder again to see if we can not save it. We like it and would like to keep it. My neighbor though fears our trees and has offered on many occasions to help pay to remove some of these trees.
robb

If the tree is going to die, better to remove it now rather than later when it can damage the house if branches fall.
I forgot to mention, some of the sawyers won't do yard trees. They may do the upper portion, but there is risk of finding nails or other inclusions on the lower portion and that can damage the blade. Others may want you to cover the blade cost if damaged by foreign objects.
You can start your search here http://www.forestryforum.com/datasearch.html
On 3/15/2011 8:37 PM, robb wrote:

Redesign your remodel, if it isn't built already. Assuming it is healthy, cutting a tree like that down is a sin. Healthy mature trees are also a big plus at sale time.
--
aem sends...

When my father had just died and my mother was feeling poor, and we certainly were poorer than before, some gardener type told her that the oak tree in front of the house had to have a hole dug around it, 2 or 3 feet deep and about 18" or 24" bigger in radius than the tree. She'd never heard of such a thing and wondered if it was just a way for him to make money. But she did it.
We moved a year later, but I've been back 50 years later, and the tree is flourishing, obscures the entire second floor. The hole is still there too but more of the center is filled in. (I wonder if they enlarged the hole.) The house was built about 75 years ago. The tree might be older. I don't know if they cut down all the trees in those days to build a house.

And a big negative at sale time if they are in the wrong place and a hazard.
Harry K
Sell it. It might pay a good deal towards the addition.
On 3/16/2011 10:51 AM, Harry K wrote:

It wasn't in the wrong place until somebody built the house too close to it. Just sayin'
--
aem sends...

LOL True, too true. The other error is planting one in the wrong spot. It cost me $850 to have a big spruce removed from my backyard. I planted it there about 30 years ago...too close to a retaining wall. Got another one that I will have to pay to get removed. I planted that one too - too close to the driveway.
Harry K