Plate Compactor

Guys,

I'm thinking about doing my own driveway this month and have laid down about 2 inch of type 1.

I need to compact it and was thinking of hiring a plate compactor at about £45 per week.

However, just been along to my B&Q and they have a Hulk plate compactor for £160.00. I was thinking I might buy it instead of hiring as I've got a few more jobs lined up that I will need a plate compactor for.

I don't have a clue if this sounds any good:

Compaction Force 10 kN > Spark Plug NGK BPR8ES > Engine type 4 Stroke OHV Single Cylinder > Speed 3800 min > Engine Power 2.4 hp > Plate working area Length 400 mm > Width 320 mm > Vibration 48 m/s2 > Usage time 20 min > Sound Power Level > (LWA) 101 dB(A) > Fuel type Unleaded (86 octane or higher) > Fuel capacity 2 litres > Maximum dimensions > in operation Height - 1020 mm > Width - 320 mm > Length - 1290 mm

Does anyone know if this looks any good for the use I am wanting it for? Also, what is usage time all about. It said it was rated at 20 minutes. What does this mean; 20 min before filling the tank again or 20 mins then give the plate a rest?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Reply to
Incubus

Here's some guidance:

Travis Jordan

I don't know either.. I "thought" I spoke English but I guess I was wrong

Rudy

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

It looks to me like "Usage Time" is how long the operator can go before risking physical damage.

The question is whether that is 20 minutes a day or 20 minutes an hour.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks guys,

That paving expert website was really useful.

Looks like I won't be buying that plate compactor - It says for a type 4 drive I need at least 60Kn of force but the B&Q beasty only provides

10Kn. Guess there was a reason for it being cheap then!

Cheers,

John.

Reply to
Incubus