Plastic windows ?

I went to a building supply center to get some replacement windows for my barn. They are the old 4 lite 20X25 inch wooden framed windows used ever since they first began building barns. I was rather shocked to find they no longer make wooden ones, but make plastic (vinyl) ones. Yuckkkkkk.....
I really dont want cheap crappy plastic windows, and they are going to stick out like a sore thumb, because they are white, while my old windows are barn red, and I am sure paint will not hold up on them, no matter what I do.
This is real discouraging, but it seems that everything is being made of plastic now a days. It's no wonder we have to pay so much for gasoline these days, since half our crude oil is being turned into cheap disposible plastic crap.
I am going to check out some old lumber yards, and see if they still have some wooden framed windows in stock, but if not I guess I am forced to buy these damn plastic things, which will probably fall apart in a couple years after the sunlight and freezing weather cause them to decay, the same way these 5 gallon plastic pails seem to decay after a few years.
I guess these companies do not realize that farm equipment needs to be strong and durable. It's not a doll house that we are dealing with.
Anyhow, has anyone had any experience painting these crappy things, if I am forced to buy them? I guess my only other option would be to find a company to custom make some wooden ones, but I'm sure that would cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks
PS. For all you youngsters who are in love with plastic, there is no need to flame me. I have been on this earth a lot longer than most of you, and I know what works and know quality, which plastic will never be.
Mark

You could grab a router and some sticks, and make your own sashes. It's fiddly work, but it ain't rocket science. What did you do with the
old ones?
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:09:04 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu"

You got a point there. I could do the router thing and make the basic frames. it's juse those special joints they make at the corners that would be a problem, but I suppose a few metal L-brackets on the inside and some good glue would do the job. I still have the old ones but they are very rotted after about 50 years. The glass is still good though, except one lite is missing. That one fell out from the bad wood and broke. But I know the glass is cheap.
By the way, I replaced a few of these same windows a few years ago, and they still had wooden ones back then. My only complaint was that they didn't glaze them, they just used some thin wooden sticks in place of the putty. SOme of those sticks warped, so I just removed all of them and used putty instead.
Mark

Wrong, but that is another topic. The platic windows will require less maintenance, last longer and seal beter than most wood windowsn. Wood is still made if you take the time fto find it.
Ask about painting them. It can be done and can last a long time.

When you get your wood windows, make sure they are not factory glazed. In my neck of the woods, the surfaces covered by glass & glazing compound are raw wood. They rot and the joints open and ... Wood just isn't what it used to be. TB
bemoaning lack of wooden windows and complaining about plastic "crap"
I might just be as much of an old coot as you Mark 8-). MHO is that the new plastic (actually, probably some sort of vinyl) or metal window frames work much better and longer than wood and require virtually no maintenance. I'm replacing mine as needed and glad to do it. Can you say no scraping, priming and painting every few years? Talk to a specialty paint and/or window store (as opposed to big box store) and you'll find the right product and technique to paint to match existing windows.
I think the days of thinking or saying that synthetic products are "cheap" are about 25 years long gone.
And about the price of fuel ... in real terms, adjusted for inflation and compared to other consumer commodities, gasoline is not expensive compared to past decades.
But if you want wooden windows, I'd be very very surprised if you can't find them. Again, enquire at a specialty shop, not a big box. Or do a web search.
Camilo wrote:

Most of what you say is true. But metal frames are a PITA, unless you don't care about comfort. Loose wooden frames have been shown to have a greater insulation value than tight metal frames. We replaced our metal window frames with acrylic frames and were delighted with the increased comfort and decreased sound transmission. Of course the OP could get frames in the same color as his barn paint, if he wishes.
As far as the OP's desire for wood is concerned, he can probably buy a reasonable table saw and make the frames and insure that they are completely painted before glazing, cheaper than buying made windows. The first may take a while, and be a PITA but the following ones will be really quick when he understands the cuts. Anyway, on a barn they don't have to be perfect, just good.

That is patently untrue regardless of ANY valid-year's dollars used for comparison, which is the only way to do it. Please post something to verify the comment, or retract it. What is the source?
Pop

OK, "Pop", try these two, and be sure to let us know what you find out By the way, what does "patently untrue" mean?
http://www1.jsc.nasa.gov/bu2/inflateCPI.html
http://qrc.depaul.edu/ndcruz/cpiexpln.doc
Cam
I like that last link Cam.

By

Wood windows?
Lots of them out there; you are just looking in all the wrong places.
Here are some nice ones; poke around the net for a lot more.
http://www.marvin.com /