plastic water supply line question

The utility uses a blue 1" pipe that looks similar to the black stuff. You might need to buy a 300' roll from a plumbing supply tho. The BORG probably won't have it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I need to run a water supply to a shop building and I was wondering if using the black plastic tubing is OK for that. It seems like that used to be commonly used with well pumps, in rural areas anyway. This is semi-temporary so I didn't want to spend the extra $ for copper. Just looked at HD and didn't see much. I looked at some stuff online and it was confusing. I think a lot of the tubing I saw is not rated for water supply pressures. What is the proper type of plastic for this? thanks Bill

Reply to
rider89

Yes, the black plastic pipe is fine for water. Just be sure you get one rated for water use. Ask at your local plumbing shop and they may have a remnant roll so you don't have to buy a full roll.

I prefer PVC myself but that is for convenenience and easy modification/repair.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The black tubing sold here abouts at HD is used for drip irrigation systems,

30 psi MAX.

You do not mention if you want potable water or not. Nor do you mention what size your looking for.

White schedule 40 PVC is pressure rated and works well for most residential water applications in the ground.

ABS pipe is not pressure rated and is used for drains and sewers.

Reply to
SQLit

It's for potable water and hoping for approx 1" ID. I'd like to use some that's somewhat flexible so I could make a long sweep bend without glued fittings.

bill

Reply to
rider89

Then use the black poly pipe that is used for that purpose. It is common, it is designed for that use and it is rated for that use. You get it at a plumbing supply store. SQLit is correct about the type of pipe he is referring to but that is not what is used in water supply lines. It does take some careful handling when installing so you don't kink it. You have to 'roll' the roll along the ground feeding the pipe into the trench. You can't just flop the roll on the ground and pull pipe as you need it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You don't have to worry much about handling 1" black pipe. Sure you have to be careful and sure it is stiff when cold. Cut the bindings (often sold in a 3-4' diameter roll and put it in the sun and it will handle fine--no square corners and no radius less than 1-2 feet. If it is cold (below freezing), put it in a tub of hot water to make it flexible. If you need sharp turns , then cut it and use the appropriate L's T's, etc. Also stick the ends in hot water before you insert the fitting.

If the ground is rocky, you might want to protect the pipe with a bedding of sand. Cheaper pipe is about 80 psi or less, but I would go with the thicker wall which is 90 psi or greater (depends on manufacturer).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Plumbing supply and big box stores around the city didn't have anything at all (except soft copper). Finally tried a Lowes past the outer edge of the burbs and they had all kinds of it.

160psi rating, and $39/100' (1").

Bill

Reply to
rider89