Plastic table top

Can anyone suggest how to find this type of product. Recently broke a patio table top that's dimension is 55 inches square. Most products come with a max of 48 inches. I would like to fine something that would be approx 3/16" thick piece of plastic (not glass again) and have checked with home depot etc and seem to draw a blank. Any suggestions on what I could do other than piecing it into sections. David...

Contact a local glass company. I know you can get 1/4" lexan or plastic. They cut it from really big sheets.
I will warn you that it will get ugly real quick because it will scratch very easy. If it last that long it will also cloud over time due to the UV rays and weather. It will also cost more than glass and you may have hand sand the edges yourself.
Colbyt
David,
I've been in your situation in the past. A replacement piece of tempered glass for the patio table costs more than the table.
Table sizes are somewhat standard. I found a neighbor selling a patio table in a garage sell for $20. The table was fairly beat up, but the glass top was ok. I bought the table, inserted the glass in my table, and tossed his beat up frame into the trash.
I also learned to toss a sandbag on top of the patio table when the weathermen are predicting strong winds. The umbrella must also be folded up and, better yet, removed before a storm. I estimate that there were over 3000 tiny pieces of tempered glass on the patio after the windstorm tipped over our patio table. (Yes, I am extremely good at estimating). A concrete filled umbrella anchor also helps.
You are going to have a difficult time finding an inexpensive replacement table top that you will be happy with. You could check around on plexiglass suppliers in your area, but you will probably have to purchase a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" plexiglass (acrylic sheet) and the cost will be over $100. You could buy a new table for that price. And with the new table, you will have a top which won't scratch easily.
You could make a plywood top, but it will need bracing since even an oversized 1/4" (4/16") sheet of plywood won't be very strong. And it is going to look pretty crappy. And it won't look as nice. And it will need maintenance. And you won't be able to check out the legs of your female guests.
If you are extremely luck, you may spot something sitting out on trash day which could be cut and improvised for a table top. It will be free and the regulars on this newsgroup know that I'm a big advocate of putting trash to use.
Do NOT use standard glass for a patio table top. Do NOT consider cutting down a piece of tempered glass to fit your table - glass can only be cut BEFORE it is tempered. (Been there; done that.) Do not consider paying somebody to temper a piece of glass after you have cut it to size - that is way too expensive.
Good luck, Gideon
clipped

We had glass cut and tempered for a backsplash in our kitchen - I believe it was about $60. About 18" x 72"? A 55" piece is another story, but since the OP is into scavenging parts, the table might be altered to take two or four smaller pieces which might cost less? I like metal mesh, myself, since hurricanes blow through here so often. Less than hurricane force winds, I just turn it upside down. Nice for propping good stuff on top of when 15' storm surges expected. And I don't need to wipe it off :o)
Thanks for the update on tempered glass pricing. Extrapolating you $60 to a 55" x 55" piece gives us a price of $140.05 for his requirement. A nw table is cheaper. Of course, the 55x55 piece could be a bit less since the price of custom tempered glass is not linear. Smaller pieces are more expensive per square foot.
Also, the original poster would probably pay a few extra dollars for rounded corners and even more for rolled and polished edges if desired.
Gideon
=================== Norminn wrote We had glass cut and tempered for a backsplash in our kitchen - I believe it was about $60. About 18" x 72"? A 55" piece is another story, but since the OP is into scavenging parts, the table might be altered to take two or four smaller pieces which might cost less? I like metal mesh, myself, since hurricanes blow through here so often. Less than hurricane force winds, I just turn it upside down. Nice for propping good stuff on top of when 15' storm surges expected. And I don't need to wipe it off :o)

You mean you don't toss your patio furniture into the pool like so many do in hurricane country???..... :>)...Ross
clipped

Don't have a pool. We haul everything into the house for real hurricane warnings. Disaster prep includes putting stuff up as high as possible, since we live on ground floor on a channel. 12' storm surge would be problematic.

So are you talking abt that heavy black metal mesh mad of some kind of iron or steel?
If yes..... you feel that's bets for patio furniture?

I would give up on the plastic idea...After a summer in the sun it will most likely turn yellow and look like a potato chip.....It's new table time....good luck, Ross