Plastic "grains" Under Kenmore Washer

I recently sold our 10 year-old Kenmore Washer to a friend. It was working perfectly when I sold it, but after they took it away, I found a small mound of small pieces of soft white plastic on the floor where the machine had been. These pieces are about the size of coarsely ground coffee.
I went to their house to look at the underside of the machine to see where the plastic had come from. This is a direct drive machine, and there is what looks like a soft plastic doughnut shaped "coupler" that sits in the drive train. On either side of it, the parts have little cogs that slot into holes in the plastic doughnut.
I want to buy a replacement part and help the buyer repair it.
Does anyone know whether this is a consumable part that should be expected to wear out and be replaced? And does anyone have a link to instructions to dissassemble this?
Thanks,
Rick

As was dramatized on a classic sitcom, "Never do business with friends."
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.netNOSPAM says...

It's quite OK to do business with friends when you're candid about the condition of the goods and ask a fair price. I'd rather sell a very good appliance like this one to a friend for a good price than let it go to the salvagers.
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate. ;-)
Rick
I've replaced mine and have done it for family members so I figure its something that goes from time to time,I'm in jersey and theres a sears repclement parts store near by me went there with model and serial # as done with other items but the guy knew just what I want and didnt need #,s so I guess its a item they sell alot of just a few clips on motor and new part fits rite in ,may have to remove a hose just to give yourself a room to work. its a quick simple fix that makes you feel very handy. but I have always waited for them to completely break before replacing ,I think they will run quit awhile before they stop completely. you can order most any appliance part off the internet many websites , but check the prices with other sites before placing order I have found there is no real price controll at all on parts sites You can spend a few bucks for the item ,and find on another site for 30 bucks .I guess they figure most people are just happy to find what they need and are quick to order it.