Plastic Gas Tank Spigot Cut With Razor Knife

Page 1 of 2

We were trying to remove a stuck on gas line from a plastic lawnmower gas tank & used a very sharp razor knife to cut through the gas line. The gas line came off - but you guessed it - we put a nice clean slit in half of the plastic nipple coming off the bottom of the tank. The slit runs up to maybe 1/16" to the bottom of the tank.
Other than replacing the tank - Anyone know of a way to patch the slit up?
Some possibilities we thought of are: * using a soldering iron to try melting the plastic together - we thought that would just end up with a melted blob of plastic if we did this
* using a hot melt glue gun to stick the plastic together- that is still a maybe but we doubt it would hold as the gasoline could dissolve the hot melt glue
* using some sort of teflon tape to wrap around the plastic spigot & then pushing the replacement gas line up flush with the bottom of the tank & clamping it on.
* or maybe there is a special glue for this purpose?
All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks, Cindy
Plastic welding would be the best fix. The soldering iron is a decent approach though there are real plastic welders that weld with hot air and additional plastic. Probably not worthwhile for a one time activity. Don't get too carried away with the soldering iron. You could wrap the stem with some fine copper wire for additional strength.
One other thing that could work would involve cutting a larger hole that would receive a bolt-on tire valve with the Schrader valve removed. ___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

jb weld
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT writes:

JB "Weld" is just overpriced EPOXY.
Epoxy does not bond to polyethylene fuel tanks.
I've used it for years to repair weedeater tanks where I work. And it holds.
--
Steve Barker

"Richard J Kinch" < snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com> wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:

JBWeld, I agree, will not work here.
It does a few things that plain epoxy won't though.
On 22 Nov 2006 05:45:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

"Plain" epoxy is pretty thin stuff. Those who work with epoxy on a regular basis rarely use it without additives or special hardeners of some sort. The additives used vary with the task at hand. JB weld is different only in that it has some fillers added into the mix to give it viscosity, and the fast hardener is diluted with additional fillers to make it work with a 50/50 mixing ratio. It cures much too fast to be considered a really good epoxy. Any epoxy that cures in less than 12-24 hours is sacrificing ultimate strength and bonding ability for expediency. 12 hours is really on the short side. JB weld has it's place, but it's a place next to duct tape. It's handy as a quick fix sometimes, but it's not "better" epoxy any more than a TV dinner is a "better" dinner.
Polyethelyne has very low surface energy and in reality, almost nothing really bonds with it well without extraordinary measures. When they build custom fuel tanks and such from polyethelyne they mount fittings by inserting them while spinning and the friction causes a weld to take place. My sugestion is to try JB weld and gluing the fuel tube onto the nipple with it. If that leaks, then buy a new tank. They are generally under $30 for small engines.
CWM

Epoxy also takes far longer than the specified cure time to FULLY cure;it usually takes a couple of weeks to be *completely* cured.
I've found JB Weld to be SOFT compared to other epoxies. It does have a higher temperature tolerance.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Mike S.

As usual when it comes to anything involving chemistry, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Yes, it's epoxy-based -- but that's not all it is. Google up the MSDS on JB Weld. Then tell me that calcium carbonate, iron powder, and magnesium silicate are normal constituents in most epoxies.
--
Regards,

Epoxies used for gluing have fillers of all sorts. Fillers don't do anything to increase the bonding ability;that comes from the chemistry of the epoxy itself.Same for hi-temperature endurance.
For some good info on epoxies;www.systemthree.com,read The Epoxy Book;you can download it for free.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, but they don't typically include the stuff that's in JB Weld.

I didn't say it did -- I just said Kinch was wrong when he said it's just overpriced epoxy.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller writes:

Your insulting demeanor doesn't deserve anyone's attention.
Your point is just a semantic quibble.
Do you have anyone close in real life? Haven't they warned you about your malicious habits of speech?

No, it's not just a "semantic quibble" -- you're *wrong*. JB Weld is *not* just overpriced epoxy as you claim it is.
--
Regards,

I'll make you a deal: you stop posting bulls**t, and I'll stop pointing out that you're posting bulls**t.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:59:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Seems fair... :')
CWM
Doug Miller writes:

No deal.
May I cordially advise that you simply post all the opinions you like, but without condemning differing opinions from educated and credentialed persons? Try to find pleasure in furthering the truth instead of reckless verbal destruction.
Whether something is "A" or "based on A" is not grounds for your attitude. The swagger and ribaldry suggest a lack of insight, not a wealth of it.

Fine, have it your way -- you keep posting baloney (like that word better?), I'll keep pointing out that it's baloney.

Like I said... you keep posting baloney, I'll keep pointing out that it's baloney.

"Furthering the truth" is exactly what I'm doing, by pointing out your baloney for what it is -- baloney.

You made a demonstrably false statement. And I demonstrated it. If you're going to keep posting baloney, you need first to develop a thicker skin, so you don't your panties in such a wad when someone comes along and points out that it's baloney.

And yet... despite all the times that you've posted baloney, and I've pointed out that it's baloney, _not_once_ have you ever shown that you were right and I was wrong. Not once.
So which one of us is it, exactly, that's lacking in insight?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller writes:

Yes, the demonstration being your flawless specimen of a childish, irrelevant, Socratic quibble.
You must have many greatful readers who might otherwise take my technical advice seriously. The world can continue welding with tubes of goo from the good people at JB Weld, instead of dismissing that product as an epoxy cement deceptively labeled, as I so foolishly characterized it.

No, the demonstration being one of yet another misunderstanding on your part. That's ok, though -- you go on believing your own delusions if you wish. Just stop trying to foist them onto the rest of the world.
--
Regards,