Plastic gas tank

I have a white plastic gas tank on a snowblower that cracked, will any glue, sealer, bond, maybe an automotove silicone sealer? My "quality" John Deer gas tank was attached with a simple Pipe Clamp the type you tighten with a screwdriver. I have heard nothing bonds to this type of white plastic.

Reply to
ransley

Replace it.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

I agree. You might check with manufacturer. Repair is not a good idea. I had one on a Lawnboy replaced after they extended warranty after discovering defect.

Reply to
Frank

You heard right. Buy a new tank.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That HDP plastic has VERY low surface energy. It will behave as if it is impregnated with oil. If you find someting that will adhere to a surface covered with oil, you can glue it. Otherwise, replacement is mandatory.

Reply to
salty

.

And its a 2 stroke so its totaly oiled up.

Reply to
ransley

Aside from replacement as the best option---I repaired a plastic lawn mower tank that was cracked and leaking by using epoxy. The epoxy that I used was the solid ribbon type and you mixed two colors together. It's been two seasons and the repair has held up. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I trust you store this machine outside and away from all buildings...

Reply to
salty

Why? Epoxy glues are labeled specifically for use as sealants for plastic gasoline containers. For example:

Kurt Ullman

The spec sheet mentions gas resistance and use on gas tanks but I missed the reference to "plastic gasoline containers".

My vote goes with the rest of the guys who said "replace", repair is possible but HDPE is nearly impossible to adhere to.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

And Protective Coating (manufacturer of the pcepoxy brand) makes great products even though they are an evil family owned business.

Knowledgeable people answer the phone and they are very interested in making quality products.

Reply to
George

Even if the repair works, there may be another part of the tank getting ready to fail. Plastics are very valuable engineering materials when properly used but often designers do not test their products thoroughly.

Reply to
Frank

There's the problem--musta' been that knock-off Deer instead of genuine green Deere... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Right there on their site it states that their product will not bond to Polyethylene. Did you not notice?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I came across this:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, If replacement tank is not available I'd try that kinda repair.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Get Mighty Putty on TV. It fixes anything. That big fat Billy Mays said so.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

He's not fat, he's just full of...... never mind.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why?? If the repair fails the gas leak is obvious--how do you think I discovered the leak in the first place. Add one more year to the repair as I'm now completing the third season since I repaired the tank. Getting a replacement tank wasn't a good option, no having to get rid of the mower as a result Too bad you didn't have better advice to offer instead of looking down your nose. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Laconic, maybe, but he is right. After I had to replace my Lawnboy tank, I never store it full anymore. They had recommended that when they gave out their extended warranty.

Reply to
Frank