plastic gas cans

Page 2 of 2

RB wrote:

If you are talking about the typical low type used for mowers and hold about 2 gallons, then the answer is leave them vented. Close the vent if you transport the things in your car but be sure to leave some space above he liquid or you are likely to have gasoline squeeze out the fill hole.
In the shed, leave the vent hole open. I leave the vent open all winter and don't notice any particular loss of gasoline over four months (maybe I just forget, but there is still plenty of gas in the spring and in the fall the container is usually around 1/4 full). I leave the vent hole open all summer and don't notice any particular loss even when the temperature is at 90 F and seldom smell gasoline (and then, usually from a spill around the mower).
The question is not weather you loose gas but that you reduce its octane and allow moisture to enter, you realy shorten its life leaving it open
I loosen the vent cap and leave it that way to allow gas pressure to escape and to help pouring. If the there is a lot of evaporation, then the gas is likely stale and should be disposed--gasoline begins to deteriorate in two weeks unless a stabilizer additive is added. I tightly close the vent cap when transporting the gas (from the gas station to home) to prevent spillage.
Everything seems to point to 3 months, not 2 weeks. Nonetheless, four months seems to have no effect on a lawnmower, or a pickup. Although I know from personal experience that old gasoline, maybe 2-3 years can result in engine damage.
Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 01 May 2004 07:08:49 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Sorry I missed earlier part of thread, how does one dispose of old gasoline?
TIA

Take it where they recycle used oil.

If you only got a gallon or less, use it to start your campfires this summer. But CAREFULLY.... Use a cup full at most, and stand back when you toss the match.

The older plastic containers have a screw-on cap over the vent hole. Loosen the cap about 1/2 turn and the container will equalize pressure without evaporating the gas. I noticed the new containers are ventless so I don't know a solution for them.
Bob