Plastic electrical boxes.

Page 2 of 2
don't need to.

You wouldn't (shouldn't) do it with the standard .35 cent box. You'd need special non metallic boxes made for the purpose

*It takes a little practice to bring out the box a little extra before nailing to get it just right. I sometimes carry a small piece of drywall with me and hold it up against the stud while nailing the box. For kitchens and bathrooms I use the adjustable boxes because I rarely know what the final finish depth will be.
Unfortunately the plastic boxes are bigger than the metal and as a result there is not a lot of drywall for the ears to rest on. A common electrician's trick is to wrap a piece of wire around the screw behind the ears to make up the gap difference. Sometimes I use 6/32 nuts for the boxes that are set back a lot more.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:12:09 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude

The 3/8" marks are intended for 3/8" wall coverings. Ideally, the boxes should be flush with the wall. If yours is 1/8" short, that's okay. I made a plywood jig that locates the box at the proper depth and height. The jig rests on the floor and against a stud--removes guesswork and no measuring.