Plastic (cpvc) versus copper

Page 2 of 2

i had a tight space for putting in a shower valve, used pex quick connects 2 to 4 bucks pricey but worth it no way to get a torch in there , the reaming tool is exspensive but my dad already had one, ummm.. can i borrow that
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:08:06 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

So I take it, the pipe didn't burst.
Here is a good ground solution:
http://www.gtglobeindustries.com/images/sideimage_thermoflex.jpg

Thats cool.My brother and I ran some1/2 in PVC through a PVC sewer pipe like that several years back. The galvanized plumbing under the slab in my dad's house had gone bad so we had to run it through the attic. Even though we only needed about 15 ft to go from kitchen to bathroom we extended the sewer pipe the length of the house. The idea was that should it freeze the water would be allowed to drain outside. Wish they had PEX back then.
Jimmie
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

The sun may have destroyed it by then.

Only been out about 5 weeks now

Dunno about PEX and sun but PVC and sun seem to be okay. I have a "temporary" PVC line from one hydrant to another that is inoperable - about 65' total that has been in for .... well, years. The only repairs I have had to do is replace a few spots that broke from freezing when I forgot to drain it in time...hmmm....seems I did it again last fall. Wonder how much will need replacing this time.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Don't know if this will be readable - it was extracted from a pdf. Can Zurn PEX be stored and/or installed outdoors?
No. All plastic pipes can break down when exposed to ultraviolet rays
(sunlight) unless they contain certain pigments or stabilizers intended to
prevent the damage. Exposure of unstabilized pipe to ultraviolet rays (UV)
causes the molecular structure to break down and oxidize causing the pipe
to become brittle and eventually rupture. Zurn PEX contains UV stabilizers
that are intended to protect it for 6 months of exposure, which is intended
for protection on the job site in case the project is delayed. Most other PEX
tubing has only 30-60 day protection. If it must be installed outside it must
be sheathed in a protective sleeve. Zurn PEX should not be stored outdoors.

Yeah to the 'brittle' That is what is happening to my 'temporary' line. When it does freeze it isn't just a small spot but a long crack now. Used to be just cut out a foot or so, now it is up to 10 ft at a shot. Still serviceable and I still have a lot of used pipe in the shed for repairs. Had it running all over back around 30 years ago to water new tree seedlings.
Harry K

Oh well, maybe I can get it in the ground in the next couple of weeks, if not I will replace it when I can bury it if it hasnt cracked before then.
Jimmie
In typed:

That would depend on the reason for the breakage. CPVC pipe is reliable as long as it's not twisted, pushed or pulled to ther e is a constant stress on it. If it broke due to freezing, copper won't be much of an improvement over the plastic properly installed.
What was the faiure mechanism, and what is known about causing it?
HTH,
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.

My first suspicion was that when the valve was screwed onto the end of the pipe, it twisted/stressed/cracked the pipe inside of the wall. A book fell off of the toilet and hit the pipe and finished the job. That shouldn't have broken the pipe, but it did.
The end result is that it broke, and wouldn't have if it were copper and I'm still in a I-hate-plastic-replace-it-all-with-copper mood right now :-)

Have you looked into PEX? If not, you should. If you're planning on replacing piping, PEX should be seriously considered. It's more robust that CPVC in many ways, the cost and installation time are both much better than with copper or CPVC, it handles the occasional freeze a lot better than either alternative, etc. Couple that, pun intended!, with some Sharkbite fittings (not cheap, but quick and secure), or a crimping tool if you're doing a lot.