Plastic adhesive recommendation

Anyone have a suggestion for a good plastic glue/adhesive? I need it to be very strong.
Thanks

What kind of "plastic"?
--
Tegger

I don't know. I would like a general adhesive to work with many types of plastics and Plexiglas as I do different repairs and mending on many household furniture and equipment. I try to fix things before I replace them.

If you don't know, you are taking a crap shoot as different plastics need different adhesives. Some, like polyethylene based plastics will not stick with any adhesive and must be heat welded. Styrene can be solvent welded with most any ketone based adhesive. .
SBH wrote:

As you know, there's no such thing as one glue that works well on most plastics, and super glue usually isn't so super for them, except maybe Bakelite and polyester.
Plastics like styrene, ABS, PVC, CPVC, acrylic (plexiglass/Lucite), and maybe even polycarbonate can be dissolved together with a solvent, like acetone or lacquer thinner, but you really should use something made especially for the particular plastic, especially acrylic and CPVC (CPVC glue can be used on PVC, ABS, and styrene).
Plastics not affected by acetone or lacquer thinner, like nylon, delrin, polypropylene, and polyethylene usually have to be melted together with a soldering iron or wood burning iron (the Teflon tip helps), but hard plastics, like Bakelite and polyester, can usually be super glued or epoxied well. I don't know about 2-part acrylic glue (not related to acrylic solvent), except that you don't want to stock up on it because it spoils in just a few months. You may want to check the websites of companies like Tech Bond, Tap Plastics, and N- bond.
On 3/19/2011 9:40 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

In short, for stuff around the house, it is seldom worth screwing with, unless you count your time at zero value. Unless it is a clean break and the parts mate up snugly, the repaired part won't be the same shape as it used to be. I'll glue hard plastics, or try to, but for the soft or waxy ones (like HDPE) I'll try a mechanical patch before I try glue, or just replace the item.
IMHO, of course. I completely understand the tinkerer's urge to fix the unfixable and save a buck. But I only have so many years left at this point, so I try to choose my battles.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

The last time I met someone with your attitude, he was unemployed and, according to himself, very important. :)
On 3/19/2011 6:25 PM, SBH wrote:

Try this site:
http://www.thistothat.com /
TDD

project. 3M 80, eh?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!