Plastering? ? ?

Recently we had some water damage on inside walls, after which the thin layer of plaster (less than the thickness of a dime) began to peel.
I don't know exactly what lies underneath, but this is a 90-year-old house. It appears to be a sheet-rock type material. This foundation is undamaged.
I've never attempted plastering but migh give it a try on this fairly limited area.
But I know nothing about it. I gather you begin with a powder which must be water-mixed into a paste-like consistency.
Are there different kinds, or just a generic plaster?
I suppose I would put it on as smoothly as possible with a wide trowel, then sand it when dry.
Do I have the right general idea? Any suggestions, or instructive web sites, ae welcome.
go to the home improvement store and buy a book.

and a hard topcoat of plaster 1/16-1/8" thick. Plaster over board is a 40's-50's product
You don't sand plaster. You get it right the first time or live with the results. I have never gotten it right! Sigh!
The good news is you can repair the damage with drywall mud which is sandable. For a small area just apply and then sand. For a wider area, example one 2 foot wide, lay down a strip of mud the across the width or height the full width of your 6" knife trying to maintain a uniform thickness, skip over or up 4" and repeat the process until the entire area is completed (with voids). Allow to dry, scrape the ridges and fill the 4" strips (voids). Sand as needed. Repeat until the wall looks and feels smooth. Water sand with a sponge before sealing with wallboard sealer.
Better to underfill and add more mud than to sand. The first coat seems to take forever. Each additional coats goes much more quickly. Far faster and healthier than sanding.
Thanks. I will give that a try, but it sounds like a bigger job than I'm up to.

get a gallon of premixed drywall compound put it on with your tool and sand when done

Forget the plastering for now. How wet is your insulation in the wall?
C.A.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:39:19 -0400, "Carpenter Ant"

Note: > Recently we had some water damage on inside walls,

"Forget the plastering for now. How wet is your insulation in the wall? C.A."
90 year old houses very rarely have insulation in the walls, unless someone put it in recently.
Plastering is an awful job, dirty and hard to do a good job. Spend $100 and get a pro to come in. He'll do it with no dust and it will match the existing surface. Plus, it will all be over in a day.