Plasterboard vs. Drywall

I have a friend who has walls supposedly called "plasterboard'. It has a raised texture that I have seen in other new homes. Like the texture is already on the board??? He calls it plasterboard. Anyway, he had some water damage and pulled part of the all off of the studs. It really looks just like drywall from with a prefab texture. He got a quote to fix about a 10' x 5' area for $1400. He said it was so expensive because it was this special plasterboard. I know that if it were drywall that materials alone would only be about $50 and maybe $200 for a couple of trips by a drywall contractor.
Question is, do you know what this plasterboard is and does this price seem reasonable for plasterboard???
Nope. And from your story about it, don't want to. Sounds kinda like "knockdown" interior wall finish- spray on joint compound and partly trowel it smooth after drying a bit- which one might do to match friend's repair. (Can't hurt to try, for the price.)
IMHO, this is all a kludge to cover up crappy drywall/taping work. $1400? Sounds like larceny.

Go to a paint store with a sample of the wall and see if they have a textured roller to match it

Yep, my buddy bought a brand new house out in Seattle, he said every new construction that he looked at had this popcorn like fininsh on the walls. All to save time on finishing the job but they claim it's an 'added feature'.
It might also be drywall with a knock down coat as mentioned in another post.
The only other thing i can think of is that it's "blueboard" with a proper plaster skim coat, then textured plaster. I imagine that would look like "pretextured" drywall if removed.
I've not done this type of work, so i don't know how much it should cost... but 1400 *sounds* like it is high for 10x5 area.
--
be safe.
flip
K. Kly wrote:

Plasterboard, drywall, gypsum, etc. are all names for the same thing.
They made something like that for older trailer houses. It was a 3/8" gypsum board with a finished texture, but I doubt they make it any more. That stuff was quite different from the common knockdown texture and would be impossible to simulate with a knockdown texture; might be able to simulate with a special roller.
In any case, $1400 to replace a 10' x 5' area is ridiculous. Cover the whole wall with good paneling, paper the wall, do a knockdown texture on that wall, replace the wall with regular gypsum and paint, all of which would be way cheaper than $1400.
"Plasterboard, drywall, gypsum, etc. are all names for the same thing. "
I thought as well until a thread on this ng back in Mar 2005 that I researched the product (button board) & while I was at iit I found out the difference between plasterboard & regular drywall (or USG's Sheetrock)
"Plaster is possible over regular drywall but it is not the exact right stuff"
Plaster Board is designed as the substrate for interior plaster finish.
It is available in 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" Fire Code
it absorbs water faster than regular drywall
so despite the fact we all (me too) refer to all drywall products w/ seemingly interchangeable names pasterboard is (was?) a somewhat different animal, though probably close to extinction. I have not seen it in a long time & a web search seems to find only in AU & NZ.
I plasterboard comes with blue paper as opposed to white for regular or green for the "water baord" flavor
$1400 is nuts, I'd remove the damage area back to some logical break, use regular drywall & texture to match; someone is blowing smoke
cheers Bob

Look at ... http://www.wconline.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,3299,83959,00.html
for definitions.
WRT $1400: if it's plasterboard, and it's got a textured plaster surface, maybe that's what pasterers get?