Plaster Walls?

We decided to remodel the 3/4 bath off our bedroom. Last night I stripped it down, took out the vanity, toilet, medicine cabinet. Then came the shower. It was a one-piece fiberglass unit that was put in before the walls were put up i guess (mid-70's). so i had to cut it out. I bashed out enough of the plaster walls to get the lip free around the shower. it's 48" by 38.5" or so. anyway, now that that's done I'm wondering if i should strip the plaster off all walls and go with cement board or drywall. Any suggestions?

Although many factors are involved in this decision, I think the main one is that you seem to having a good time. I'd say go for it. Start from scratch. Rip out the plaster and install whatever is "the right material" for walls in moist places. Even better, take pictures of every completed step. If you sell the house, the pictures will impress someone like me.

What do you plan to finish the walls with?
Hmmm, good question. I think we'll just paint with some wallpaper border at the top. That's what my wife has done in the past. Also the shower will be a fiberglass sectional one so i can get it into the room without ripping any walls out.
I'm confused between cement board, drywall, and greenboard so if anyone could comment on those choices, thanks. Pretty sure we're going to rip the plaster out now, so that's the next decision i guess.

If you're installing wallpaper, you'd better be installing a fan, too. Otherwise, start learning some new obscenities for the time when you have to strip off the wallpaper because it's beginning to look like crap.

Jerry, Cement board is a board that literally acts as a solid surface like cement.. It can be used to put tile directly on it.. Green board is the same thing as sheetrock only the color is green and it has a water resistant layer on it, which is code required in most places for bath and shower enclosures.. If all your putting back is a fiber glass unit, there would be no reason to put cement board.. Just put 1/2 or 5/8 green board. JerryC wrote:

JerryC wrote:

Be aware that regular plaster walls reduce sound transmission a huge amount compared to drywall. If you replace with drywall, sounds from the bathroom will be way more evident.
JerryC wrote:

I would use the cement board for underlayment for tiling the newly exposed areas. I would also keep the plaster in the areas where it's undisturbed. As long as it's not crumbling, plaster is stronger (denser) and there's no paper for mold to live on.
Might as well take the wall to the studs, if it's an exterior wall you can fur out the studs for additional insulation. Also ain't none of us getting younger so add the blocking for hand rails while you are in there. JerryC wrote:

Jerry, It depends on what you're going to put on the walls.. If you're going to put some sort cultured marble or fiberglass enclosure back, you only need to put the Green Board. Make sure to caulk or use the proper sealant for your corners though, not just drywall mud. If you're gonna put tile back, you can put a cement board straight on the studs or you could put green board and then float the walls out, or put the cement board on top of the green board to give the tile job a floated out look. Oh, by the way, the green board only needs to go where the shower enclosure will be, not throughout the whole bathroom. JerryC wrote: