plaster on trowels

hello ng,
I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my tools more-readily. Ideas?
It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.
Thx for your comment.
--
Cal

Scrape it off with ANOTHER putty knife before it gets real hard. Do it immediately after use.
Or dont get any plaster on your tools :)
On 09/10/2012 12:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

fred, you've got my encryption scheme outfoxed:
$ cat /etc/hostname fred-desktop $
This project has been up near La Cueva, so I know you've got a bead on me.
plaster sticks *amazingly well* to metal, and your trowels can't be the thing you care about when the plaster is going.
that is, if the plaster on the walls isn't more important to you.
--
cal

On 9/9/2012 11:30 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.
If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of material off trowels.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:

I ended up using plastic trowels when it got down to the short strokes.
--
Cal

On 09/10/2012 03:21 AM, DanG wrote:

I should get a proper razor-scraper again.
--
cal

hello cd,
Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.
Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.
ng Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .
hello ng,
I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my tools more-readily. Ideas?
It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.
Thx for your comment.
--
Cal

On 09/10/2012 09:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think a torch would work well. Thank you.
> Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet. > > ng > Learn more about Jesus > www.lds.org > . >
I'm an ex-mo because I have an xtian conscience. Don't believe in "translations" found at the bottom of some farmboy's hat.
--
Cal

Cal Dershowitz wrote:

When I'm plastering, I keep my trowels in a bucket of water, so the residue doesn't set. I wipe them with a rag before use, because its hard to get plaster to stick to a wet trowel.