plaster on trowels

hello ng,

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

Scrape it off with ANOTHER putty knife before it gets real hard. Do it immediately after use.

Or dont get any plaster on your tools :)

Reply to
fred.flintstone

I can't imagine letting any material harden on any trowel. The time to clean tools is while the applied product is still viable. YOu would normally already have a margin trowel, flip brush, and water while you are working so cleaning hawk and trowel are a constant, on-going thing.

If you're talking about a light skim of material that sets up, I've always had good luck with a razor blade scraper to get the last bits of material off trowels.

Reply to
DanG

hello cd,

Heat the tool with a torch. The metal expands faster than the plaster.

Clean your tools while the plaster is still wet.

ng Learn more about Jesus

.

I'm in a large plaster project right now and need plaster to come off my tools more-readily. Ideas?

It seems to accrete on the bottom of trowels. I sand drywall knives down physically, but I look at that as a method of last resort.

Thx for your comment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think a torch would work well. Thank you.

I'm an ex-mo because I have an xtian conscience. Don't believe in "translations" found at the bottom of some farmboy's hat.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

I ended up using plastic trowels when it got down to the short strokes.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

fred, you've got my encryption scheme outfoxed:

$ cat /etc/hostname fred-desktop $

This project has been up near La Cueva, so I know you've got a bead on me.

plaster sticks *amazingly well* to metal, and your trowels can't be the thing you care about when the plaster is going.

that is, if the plaster on the walls isn't more important to you.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

I should get a proper razor-scraper again.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

When I'm plastering, I keep my trowels in a bucket of water, so the residue doesn't set. I wipe them with a rag before use, because its hard to get plaster to stick to a wet trowel.

Reply to
Notat Home