plaster on sheetrock

House was constructed around 1950 and it has plaster on sheetrock. The sheetrocks has holes punched out about every 6" for the plaster. Are sheetrocks like that still available or is there a tool I could use to punch holes out quickly and cleanly?

Reply to
Kim

The rock on mine looks like 1/2" or 5/8" then it coved up to meet the ceiling plaster.

Wonder how you make the plaster stick to smooth rock? May need to add some chicken wires.

Reply to
Kim

Kim,

My house, circa late 1960s, has plaster over gyp-board (sheetrock) lathe. The latter has no holes, but I think it's the same idea. In other words, you don't need the holes. I think it's just

1/4" gyp-board.

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

There is drywall made for skim coat of plaster around here it is called blue board.

Reply to
calhoun

I forget what that sort of board is called, the stuff with the holes that you then plaster over. But that is what was used in the past (and might also be used in the present under some circumstances, maybe?)

As Calhoun said, nowadays you use blueboard:

Alternately, you can apply a bonding agent to regular drywall to make the plaster stick:

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Blue board or paint your new gyp with Larson's plaster bonding agent (pink).

DanG

I believe it was called "button board" but I haven't seen it in years.

Plaster is possible over regular drywall but it is not the exact right stuff

the right stuff is: Plaster Board is designed as the substrate for interior plaster finish.

It is available in 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" Fire Code

it absords water faster than regular drywall

Ken's info is spot on.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Kim,

Mine has no wire or anything like that. It's just the sheetrock, layer of the coarse, sandy gray plaster, and a layer of thincoat. That said, I assume the sheetrock is special stuff I've heard called gyp-board lathe. It is in 16" wide strips. the plaster adhears very well, even after 30+ years. You have to scrap it off.

I'm currently looking at it in the walls because I have the bathroom ripped apart. I've had to cut into the ceiling at various times too, and it's the same.

Ed

sheetrock.

Reply to
Jag Man

Reply to
damn-spam

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I mostly do plaster repair, but in the two or three cases where I have put sheet rock (drywall) adjacent to plaster/wood-lath, I've had not trouble. However, I always use the quality pasters: diamond-whit for finish, and gypsum structolite for rough coat. In the case of sheetrock adjacencies, I think a final mud and even tape transition is a good idea, maybe necessary. Maybe someone could give a reference to this "bad reaction." --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro