plaster on sheetrock

House was constructed around 1950 and it has plaster on sheetrock. The sheetrocks has holes punched out about every 6" for the plaster. Are sheetrocks like that still available or is there a tool I could use to punch holes out quickly and cleanly?
Kim,
My house, circa late 1960s, has plaster over gyp-board (sheetrock) lathe. The latter has no holes, but I think it's the same idea. In other words, you don't need the holes. I think it's just 1/4" gyp-board.
Ed

The
to punch

The rock on mine looks like 1/2" or 5/8" then it coved up to meet the ceiling plaster.
Wonder how you make the plaster stick to smooth rock? May need to add some chicken wires.

Kim,
Mine has no wire or anything like that. It's just the sheetrock, layer of the coarse, sandy gray plaster, and a layer of thincoat. That said, I assume the sheetrock is special stuff I've heard called gyp-board lathe. It is in 16" wide strips. the plaster adhears very well, even after 30+ years. You have to scrap it off.
I'm currently looking at it in the walls because I have the bathroom ripped apart. I've had to cut into the ceiling at various times too, and it's the same.
Ed

sheetrock.
Are
use
There is drywall made for skim coat of plaster around here it is called blue board.

calhoun wrote:

called blue

The
Are
I forget what that sort of board is called, the stuff with the holes that you then plaster over. But that is what was used in the past (and might also be used in the present under some circumstances, maybe?)
As Calhoun said, nowadays you use blueboard:
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/products/?query t:6&productQ
Alternately, you can apply a bonding agent to regular drywall to make the plaster stick:
http://www.larsenproducts.com/plasterweld.htm
Ken
Blue board or paint your new gyp with Larson's plaster bonding agent (pink).

I believe it was called "button board" but I haven't seen it in years.
Plaster is possible over regular drywall but it is not the exact right stuff
the right stuff is: Plaster Board is designed as the substrate for interior plaster finish.
It is available in 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" Fire Code
it absords water faster than regular drywall
Ken's info is spot on.
cheers Bob
it is called 'rock-lath' up in canada. just remember that plaster and gypsum react adversly to each other and should not be combined.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:54:56 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@all.youSOB"

Why do gypsum and plaster react adversly ? Are they not about the same thing?
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I mostly do plaster repair, but in the two or three cases where I have put sheet rock (drywall) adjacent to plaster/wood-lath, I've had not trouble. However, I always use the quality pasters: diamond-whit for finish, and gypsum structolite for rough coat. In the case of sheetrock adjacencies, I think a final mud and even tape transition is a good idea, maybe necessary. Maybe someone could give a reference to this "bad reaction." --Phil