Plaster ceiling damage

Last summer, we had central AC installed in our 40-yr old home, which included putting an air handler in the attic. Well, the hack that put it in never leveled it, and it spent the better part of a day leaking condensate onto my bedroom ceiling. I removed all the wet insulation immediately and let the ceiling dry on its own. Note that my ceilings are plaster on gypsum wallboard lath.
The affected area looks to be roughly 10 feet in diameter. There are a few small yellowed spots and some bubbling on the surface, mostly on the 'fault lines'. I'm sure most of the cracks were there to start with (like hairline fractures in any 40-yr old plaster ceiling), but the water damage has accentuated them. I have no idea if the plaster has separated at all from the lath.
Now, regardless of the fix, the HVAC guy is paying for the job. I just want to know what the best solution is for the long term life of the ceiling. I've considered just sanding/painting, have gotten advice to put drywall over the entire ceiling, and advice to tear out the damaged section and re-plaster it.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Greg
A good plaster man (or woman) can tell from the feel/sound if it. It may just need a little clean up. However it may need a section replaced, hard to tell from here.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On 12 Jan 2004 10:10:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Greg) wrote:

Depending on the model, with all the mold scares in the last couple of years, you may want to tilt your drain pan towards the outlet so there is less condensate water surface area in the pan.
An annual checkup should have caught the problem.
Be particularly careful to determine if the plaster has failed, or is damaged so as to foster later collapse of sections of your ceiling. If you can get at it from the attic you should be able to make this determination directly, or have hire someone else do it if you're not able.
RB