Plasma TV Install

I have a new plasma TV that I'll be mounting to a wall. The wall has a power outlet about 4-5 feet below. Is it going to be okay for me to simply drill a small hole behind the TV and run the power cord down to the base of the wall, drill another small hole, pull it out and plug it into the outlet? Ideally, I'd also like to run the satelite cables in that same space behind the wall (they are component cables), anyone see issues? I guess the main problem would be that the cables will be exposed behind the wall but I don't know how to tell if they are safe for that type of thing. However, with the way I see most nice entertainment systems all having "hidden" wires, I'd think it's okay. By the way, this is an interior wall.
@gmail.com says...

Extensions cords are meant for temporary use only. What you're describing is a permanent installation.
If you're willing to fork over the dough for a plasma TV, don't be a tightwad on the install. Get an electrician to move the outlet higher up, and plug the TV in directly. This shouldn't cost you too much, and the final result will be much nicer.

Video and audio cables can be run in the wall cavity without problems. They aren't "exposed" any more than the rest of your household wiring - the wires aren't bare metal, after all.
Thanks for the reply. Is the power cord that comes with the TV considered an extenstion cord? Even if I move the plug up I'll still be using the power cord to plug the TV in. I take it the power cord is a hazard to be run in the wall?

I don't know the code name for it but bottom line is it is an appliance cord whether it plugs a lamp in or a TV. Your best bet is to locate a box up the wall and plug in there if you don't want to run some sort of wire mould. Cheers, cc
no. no 110 volt cords in the wall i know they can cause fires. you'll want an electrician to install an outlet for you. the rest of the low voltage stuff is not a fire hazard in that way. maybe cover the wiring with a nice dvd rack?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

With some possible exceptions power cords are not allowed inside a wall. You can do what I did (I had other reasons not to enter that wall or I would have put all the wires in it including proper cable.) and run some plastic conduit on the wall surface. I even painted the conduit the same color as the wall. You can buy conduit made just for that kind of use.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Install an outlet behind the TV. You can also install a cable outlet in back of the TV, preferably at least foot away from the electrical.
On 21 Mar 2006 17:10:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The only real issue is if it were an outside wall because of the vapour barrier.
You'd be safe doing what you want... It doesn't restrict the wiring any more than a conduit would. You just want to avoid having any joints/plugs/etc. inside the wall.

All true, but if you sell your house, you don't want to have any slipshod, non-code AC Wiring in the walls. If there is a fire, you could be liable.
Even if you own the house, say it burns down because of something illegal you did. Your fire insurance company would have a case for not paying the claim.
Beachcomber
On 21 Mar 2006 17:10:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is a plasma tv? I am not up on this high tech stuff......
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:00:54 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I think if, over a few years, you give 40 pints of blood. you're entitled to a plasma tv. I'm not sure how it works. Check with your local hospital or blood bank.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/plasma-display.htm
i love this site. don't care too much for the idea of the plasma tv. i've heard they are very delicate,and i've got three kids.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:05:29 -0500, "tom&kel"

Many people have an exaggerated view of this. Kids are not that delicate. If the tv falls on their heads, they'll probably be ok.
Oh, the tv. Yeah, they might hurt it.
ha! you're right about the kids. if they knocked a tv over they would be ok,but lord forbid one brushes against the other.....then the alligator tears starts. whaaaaa! he hit me!!!!

I would not run a power cable from an appliance inside a wall. Also I would not run the cable coax or any video feed in the same cavity because there is a possibility of interferance cause by the EMF of the power cable.
Are u mounting the TV on an outside wall? If no, its piece of cake to snake a romex wire up the wall to install a old construction outlet box.
Also reconsider mounting the TV on wall. What will happen if u decide to change the room around? By a nice piece of furniture to place it on. Mounting flat screens on the wall is sooooo 2001 and its consider tacky in my neck of the woods.