Planned obsolescence

We have a couple of 20-year-old recliners, one of which needs new plastic bushings and drive shaft. But we have been told by the retailer that no parts are available for anything more than 7 years old. The only parts I can find on line are a different size. I may be able to ream out the holes to accept the larger bushings and replace the original square tube by a round one with flats ground in the appropriate places, but that is a pain.

Perhaps, when buying anything these days, one needs to ask, "Which parts of this thing are most likely to wear out?" and buy replacements at the time.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

20 years for a recliner is pretty damn good. You'd be lucky to get much more than 5-7 yrs out of one now unless you bought a Hancock and Moore or a Bradington and Young. Take the mechanism to a welder and see if he can fix any of it
Reply to
ChairMan

Whichever one hadda "drive shaft". I'm stumped. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'm hoping that I just foiled some "planned obsolescence".

I just replaced a hose reel that is attached to SWMBO's garden shed with the same style that was broken & repaired a few years ago. Yes, it's a cheap plastic hose reel, but we need narrow "sidewinder" in that location and it's hidden from view anyway.

Anyway, here's the deal:

The hose reel slips over a plastic "cone" on the mounting bracket. The weight of the hose eventually cracked the top of the cone so that the reel sagged. I bridged the crack with some steel strapping inside the cone to carry the weight, but it was never perfect. It lasted 2 years but last weekend the crack extended itself and the sagging began again.

When I bought the new one, I added the strapping *before* I even mounted it, i.e. before any cracking had started. I am hoping that by bridging the weak area right from the start, it won't ever crack.

If there is no cracking 3 years from now, I will laugh in the face of the manufacturers.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On further thought, I realized that replacing the hollow square tube by a solid round rod would not work, because it has to go through some square openings. 1/2" square tube won't work either, because it is a little too big, so I ended up reversing the worn square tube, drilled new holes where needed, and reinforced the damaged part (which was no longer in contact with the frame) with a splint consisting of two 1/2" pieces of angle stock, secured by hose clamps.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy