Placement of deadbolt on door with glass panes

Hello,

I live in a house that approx 45 years old. The rear entry door has glass panes and does not have a deadbolt. To improve security, I am planning on installing a deadlock. Since the glass could be broken and then someone could easily unlock the deadbolt, I was planning on placing the deadbolt closer towards the floor so that it would be very difficult top reach. Is there any reason that I should not place the deadbolt lower?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
GoogleGroup_1

Buy a double cylinder deadbolt, which uses a key on both sides of the door, and mount the lock at the normal height.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Fire hazard. Make sure you keep a key nearby, like behind a picture or a floor mat or something.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Hello,

I had thought about that,but have concerns about safety (getting out of house in case of fire, etc). I have 3 kids. This is why I do not want to have it keyed from the inside.

Paul

Reply to
GoogleGroup_1

Another advantage of inside keying is that if the goblins get in (say, through the chimney), they still can't carry the swag out. To test this, try moving an entertainment center through a broken window.

That said, consider bars for the glass or replacing the glass with the impregnable plastic they use on jet fighter cockpits (I forget the name: Jolly Green Giant or Michilen or something).

Reply to
HeyBub

At least where I live these are not allowed in new construction due to fire hazard. They recommend impact-resistant glass or polycarbonate windows instead.

I have one in the house I just bought. I detest the inconvenience of it. I'm planning on replacing the door anyways, and the new deadbolt will NOT be keyed on the inside.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Alarm system sounds like a good candidate... but not sure how that pertains to your situation. I've got the same deal...but if you think about it, no home is completely secure.... even if you put a double-keyed deadbolt on the glass door, think about how hard it would be to break the door down completely, or break another window or bust your garage door opener chain by using a wedge to lift the door from the outside, then spending the next few hours going to town on your electronics and jewelry while you're on vacation. (happened to a friend of a friend, so it's probably not true, but is possible)

My security system is model # 1911-A1 caliber .45 ACP by Springfield Armory. These retail for about $500 and installation is a few clicks. ;-) If you've got kids (or are a convicted felon and can't buy a gun), you may want to get a housebroken yappy loud guard dog (good addition to the family anyhow) and an axe ($15) or 6-D cell maglite ($30) instead.

Reply to
kellyj00

Replace the glass in the door with polycarb. That way, they set it on fire instead of breaking it.

Reply to
Goedjn

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Who's going to respond to it if you are not home? (and *how long* is the response time?)

the door FRAME usually fails before the door.

You want security,use a solid door,a reinforced door frame,and deadbolt locks,not those locks in the doorknob,or ones that lock when you shut the door.

One new attack is a garage's side door(or window) to the outside,then lots of time to attack the inner door to the main house. Or thieves break into your autos outside and take the garage door opener,use that to enter the garage.(even while you ARE at home!)

And only good if you happen to be HOME when the illegal entry is attempted. (the usual occurrence in the US is the opposite.) (and I'm a gun owner,not anti-gun.)

Pepper spray;it does not require close combat like a flashlight(club). Get the LARGE can,like police use,at least 2 million Scovill units of heat.

(I'd also rather use a aluminum baseball bat than a flashlight,for a club.Or an ASP collapsible baton.)

A big dog is useful when you aren't home,but has cleanup,possible allergy problems,and requires constant feeding.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

(snip)

Can't remember where I read it- I'm thinking Mad magazine- but they went through the guard dog scenario, and the potential new dog owner did some math in his head, and announced that it would be cheaper to get robbed once in a while.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

I&#39;ve done that for the last twenty or so years. Deadbolts low down. Yes, I&#39;m a locksmith, and yes, I install deadbolts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hire a professional

Reply to
Professional

Reply to
Professional

Well, most folks keep the key in the lock most of the time. You take the key out when you leave the house empty (keep it within sight of the door) but at night you leave it in place.

Some folks put those locks in because they have someone in the house who "wanders." (A senile old person or a kid with mental problems.) They have to balance the fire hazard with someone "escaping" the house and playing in traffic.

Reply to
John Gilmer

In Valley Center, KS...we rarely lock our doors. Sorry to have posted, I have no idea what I&#39;m talking about when it comes to theivery. My thought is "you can replace a TV, but not your family"

Then again though, I&#39;m such a lousy shot that I&#39;d probably put holes in my TV as well as the robber. And the cleanup wouldn&#39;t be fun. It&#39;s probably best to just be a victim.

Reply to
kellyj00

Chris,

Thanks for reply. I was hoping to hear from someone like yourself who had put the deadbolt down lower on the door.

Paul

Reply to
GoogleGroup_1

Why not go all the way, and put one that drops a pin into the threshold, and another that puts one up into the header? Then you can install metal brackets on either side, and drop a (tastefully decorated) 2x4 across the doorway.

Reply to
Goedjn

My French doors already have pins -- on the side that is not often opened. The pins are accessed by opening the "active" side and moving the pins, Are you saying that these can be installed as well on the "inactive" side? Straight question.

TIA

Reply to
aspasia

Depends on whether you want to be able to unlock them from the outside, and if so, whether you care how ugly the hardware is. If the answer to either of the above is "no", then yes, you can.

But what I was talking about was just mounting a normal long-shaft deadbolt lock 90 degrees around, so that the bolt goes up/down.

Reply to
Goedjn

Oh, I get it. Thanks. However -- there&#39;s always a "however" isn&#39;t there -- anyone could break a pane and access the deadbolt. no?

However if it deters the invader in the least, might be worth it. Though I have low-mounted deadbolts and chains on both my French doors, they are virtually worthless for a determined break-in.

Aspasoa

Reply to
aspasia