Pitfalls of a diy electric water heater?

On Sun, 08 May 2011 23:47:25 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:

Of course. You probably couldn't use it in a building that you wanted to be insured, it might not last as long as a commercial heater, it might not be as efficient as a commercial heater, and you might end up with all sorts of crap in the water. But feasible? Yes...

How easy and cheap are they to get? I expect once you've paid for one, and all the parts you'd need to convert it to a heater (elements, 'stats, safety valve, drain valve, couplings), it's probably 50% of the cost of a new heater anyway (which would also be legal and have a 'known' - within a few years - lifespan).
I could see a smaller diy tank being useful for a 'shop, garage etc. though - maybe one of those little propane tanks? If it's just hot water for washing parts, hands while working etc. then it could be useful. Don't worry about coating the tank, just replace it when it leaks (sit it on a tray with a drain to the outdoors :-)
cheers
Jules
I watched a TV show presentation (probably TOH this old house) which included a visit to a site where old cast iron bathtubs were stripped and recoated with new porcelain. The raw material was a powder/granular substance.
Very hot temperatures were involved, but it likely could be done to a vessel such as a new pressure vessel similar to a propane tank.. although full surface area coverage could be a bit more challenging, and the proper cooling rate may be a bit of trial/error.
So the project could potentially be a DIY as far as welding the neccessary fittings to the tank, and finding a company to do the lining.
I'd be my guess that many similar tanks are stock items for several industries, such as chemical or food processing.
Regarding the MythBusters water heater launch.. I strongly suspect that in most modern home plumbing systems, various components would fail/leak/burst before a launch took place. The results would still be very dangerous, but would effectively prevent lift-off and penetration of multiple layers of construction materials.
--
WB