Pistacchio Nuts in Garbage Disposal

I had a good laugh tonight. We had ants in the pantry and they were also swarming the bag (Costco size, of course) of Pistacchio nuts. So, having quite a bit of faith in my garbage disposal I decided to pour the nuts with the ants down the garbage disposal. My daughter was watching this and at 1/4 my age pointed out that she didn't think it was such a good idea.
Well, suffice it to say that with both sinks full of water and not clearing with a plunger, I was beginning to see the sense of her youthful wisdom. Wait! It gets better.
I gave up trying to plunge the problem away and, having enough sense, little enough as it is, I decided to keep my daughter involved in the problem solving process. We proceeded to remove the U shaped piece of pipe. We had a good laugh as we saw it packed tight and full with ground Pistacchio nuts. I mean packed tight!
I thought we were home free, but water still wouldn't drain down the non-disposal sink. As I sat there thinking about what I could stick UP the down pipe to clear out some stubborn nut shells, my, by now, obviously smarter daughter grabbbed the plunger and said, "Just use the plunger, Dad!" Whoosh! Out came a wad of nut shells.
We put the pipe back together and all was right with our world. The best part of all this was the time spent with my daughter problem solving and doing something more useful than watching TV.
I hope you all realize how much courage it takes to share my ineptitude with you all for the sake of sharing a good home repair story!
Bryan

problem, but why didn't you just throw them out. What could you have been thinking? Did you need to destroy the ants?
My, what fun! Tom

Maybe your daughter will be a plumber !!!!
I think you should have just sprayed the bad inside with bug spray and tossed it. Disposers have their limitations.
Glad you had fun anyhow.

Good story. The best part was having your daughter involved.
wrote in message

Yeah, it sounds like she really knows a lot about nuts.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Out of the mouths of babes oft times come.....
(Red cigarette butts?)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

you have a future mechanical engineer there!
(PS - female engineers command a premium salary on the market, due to government mandated hiring women quotas and a shortage of female engineering graduates)

I wonder if a male engineer can get a raise if he has a sex change operation.

You could find out and let us all know <LOL>
If you have perennial ant problems, as we do around here, here's a cheap, non-toxic way to kill them off:
Get yourself a pump-spray bottle like they use for Windex, Tilex, etc. Fill it with water, then add maybe a half-teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. Shake it up good, then whenever you see bunches of ants in your garbage or on the counter or wherever, spray them with the detergent solution.
It kills ants on contact, and it also dissolves the "scent trails" they use to navigate back and forth between the food and the colony.