Pissed off at th thermostat

Two things I do as I turn my clocks ahead and back, change the batteries in my smoke detector, and in my Thermostat. The cost is minimal, the safety factor isn't.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Then you take the older batteries and use them in something that isn't critical and more likely to use the remaining charge, like a radio, or a R/C toy, etc.

replacements on

Reply to
David Babcock

That's fine for you, but my summer house is in an area where there are next to no year round residents, probably one year round for every ten to fifteen seasonal places. That makes for on busy, pissed off neighbor in my eyes.

Reply to
David Babcock

Twice a year seems like overkill. I change all the smoke detector and clock backup batteries between xmas & new years. Just yesterday to be exact. My thermostat doesn't have a battery.

12 9v block batteries. 2 six packs from Sams.
Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Ahhh, the cottage - hadn't thought of that, since I don't own one. Friends of mine usually pay someone to look in regularly. In one case, a permanent resident on a small road looks after all the houses on the road. Part of walking the dog. It's about a kilometer stretch with a dozen or so lakeside cottages. Such retirees often don't mind the extra few $ a month for an easy task. These are year-round cottages on a road plowed in winter. Where there's a will (and a few $) there's a way. And those $ may be cheaper and more useful than a different insurance policy.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Manufactures usually start off with a recommendation to freguently test critical battery operated devices and to change batteries in other equipment when it starts to operate poorly (duh). Then they jackup the recommendation to include more frequent testing or to changing the batteries at some arbitrary fixed interval. That usually progresses to a recommendation to change batteries at an even more frequent level to help sales and avoid any chance of customer problems.

Your change frequency depends on the type batteries you use. Regular, heavy duty, or the energizer type. Appliance manufactures have to assume the lowest common denominator, which is the regular battery, to avoid customer complaint and law suits. For critical use, I think you should use only the energizer type batteries, and you waste resources if you change them as if they were regular batteries. The logical thing to do is test how long the batteries will last in that appliance by marking the date and then seeing when they fail, because appliances vary in their power requirements. After that, change them in response to your tests.

How often do you change your razor blade, windshield wipers, headlights, brake linings, water heater, electric stove elements, or whatever? Would you recommend that people change them on a specific time interval or when they wear to an unacceptable performance? Oh, I didn't include tires because manufactures are not suggesting that you change tires on the basis of length not on the basis of use. Yep, I expect my tires that are mostly in a garage run at less than 70 percent of speed rating at temperatures that are fairly low will deteriorate just a fast as tires left in the sun subject to high humidity and high temperatures, and often run near maximum speed ratings. Give me a break!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You can also take them out of the critical components early and reuse them for portable radios, toys, etc until they die.

Reply to
C G

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

There are plenty of things which do not have such high current requirements. Also, my suggestion was not directed toward people who leave the batteries in until they are low, as you suggested, it was for people who want to change them out way before failure.

Reply to
C G

It may seem like overkill, but I never have to worry about a dead battery

Dave

Owner:Chinook-L

Owner:Sibernet-L

Reply to
David Babcock

Yeah, I understood your suggestion. YOU didn't understand that I am saying that most things require a higher current to operate properly than a smoke detector or a backup battery for the thermostat.

It isn't really relevant, since changing batteries every 6 months is just plain paranoid. My vehicle manufacture suggest oil changes every 5 months, the dealer says the oil should be changed every 3 months. I suggest that if your vehicle is similar that you not believe the dealer but have it changed every month. Better get that gas furnace inspected and maintained twice a year also.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

not likeky , air space will keep it from freezing but IGNORAMUS says it all MMR

Reply to
m Ransley

I did understand that. I was making a suggestion to the compulsive people who insist on changing the batteries way earlier than necessary. From what you have said, I doubt you are in that category.

We agree on this.

Interesting, my manufacturer says every 7,500 miles. The dealer agrees.

Huh?

Only twice?

Reply to
C G

I'm constantly amazed by the battery life of a reproduction "Regulator" pendlum clock on my kitchen wall.

The darn thing has a regular geared clockwork mechanism timed by an honest to G-d working pendulum The mainspring is wound up by a little 1.5v dc motor which gets kicked on when the spring runs down. (You can hear the motor whir for a few seconds while it's doing that.)

It's been going strong on one alkaline C cell for at least three years now.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"George E. Cawth> Wow! I thought my 34 month battery (9 V) was pretty good.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia