Pipes popped out of the walkway - What would you protect them with?

Page 2 of 2

Three pipes. Underground fuel tank supply, return, and vent?

With PVC pipe? I think not
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:52:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

I'm not wholly sure what is what, but, there are plenty of irrigation boxes around so the small pipe, I suspect, is irrigation.
The two larger pipes are almost certainly for the existing water features in the foundation-like structure above because there is a 1.75 horsepower pool pump (which is broken as I have to fix that next) nearby which runs the water features.
Why there is a black wire along the pipes confounds me though.
Here is a closeup picture taken just now:

Heater tape?
Why there is a black wire along the pipes confounds me though.
Here is a closeup picture taken just now:

Black wire could be for loe-voltage wiring, or maybe a relay control lead to turn the pump on and off for the waterfall.

Umm, you just now decided to explain to everyone what this "wall" is and what the pipes are feeding ?
Your idea of using that irrigation cover is a joke unless you are planning on digging a lot more out and putting something in the ground under it to support the weight of the flagstone and stonedust pack material you are going to set it on -- those irrigation boxes are designed to be set in the ground at the same time as the irrigation pipes/valves with a hole for the pipe to pass through drilled in the side of it in a lawn area without heavy stones pushing down on it, it sort of "free floats" in the dirt and the grass doesn't weigh it down in any way which would make it sink into the ground further...
You are going to have to remove decent portions of two sides of the support frame for that irrigation valve cover -- you need to set it solidly on something underneath which will support it so it does not settle and undermine the flagstones you plan on installing...
You say you are surprised by the wire, yet you are aware of the presence of landscape lighting... LOL...
Wow, thanks for describing what the wall was for, what you were planning on doing and asking us all about the "mystery pipes" that popped up out of the ground when you dug it up to do some work...
~~ Evan
White PVC? Not likely..... but who can tell?
Hey, OP? Got fuel oil?
> I'd be curious what the pipes are, and what they contain. If you're in cold > climate, and if the pipes are exposed to cold, you might want something > with thermal mass, like a huge flower box.
Three pipes. Underground fuel tank supply, return, and vent?
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:11:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Propane. From a tank. On the other side of the house.
What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:11:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Propane. From a tank. On the other side of the house.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 07:53:12 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not sure but I think: a) The electrical wire is probably low voltage for outdoor lighting b) The two large pipes are probably for the water feature c) The small pipe is probably a drain for the water feature or irrigation
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:39:34 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee

Why not dig a little further and confirm what they are? If they are for water can you have them exit the house at a lower elevation? If yes, reroute them lower and you won't need a cover of any kind.
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:22:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, I just got this (it's night) so I'll look in the morning. From memory, the wire seemed to have two thick lobes but that's all I know at the moment. I'll look and snap a closeup in the morning.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:40:25 -0800, Oren wrote:

Just to update the pipes which popped up as I was digging for a walkway...
Both irrigation covers I bought were all too small.
But then, all that digging uncovered a foundation so, on a whim, I started laying sandstone as tile and as flagstone (two different walkways in progress resulted): http://picturepush.com/host.php?imageu08870
So, the pipes are on hold for the moment ... until/unless I finish the walkways and stop starting new projects without finishing the first!