Pipes popped out of the walkway - What would you protect them with?

What works are these:

DerbyDad03

What do these pipes carry? Electrical wires?

.

Propane. From a tank. On the other side of the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not sure but I think: a) The electrical wire is probably low voltage for outdoor lighting b) The two large pipes are probably for the water feature c) The small pipe is probably a drain for the water feature or irrigation

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Interesting.

  1. Turn off the water and drain the old hose faucet, also called the sillcock.
  2. Use emery cloth to clean the copper water pipe leading to the hose faucet.
  3. Cut the pipe using a tubing cutter and then remove the old hose faucet.
  4. Insert the new frost-proof sillcock into the hole in the wall, and mark its mounting-hole locations.
  5. Drill holes on the mark and insert plastic wall anchors.
  6. Apply silicone caulk around flange of the frost-proof sillcock.
  7. Slide sillcock into hole, press tight to wall and secure with stainless steel screws.
  8. Use an adjustable wrench to remove stem unit from sillcock.
  9. From inside, solder a length of copper pipe to the end of the sillcock.
  10. Use a coupling to solder new pipe to the existing water pipe.
  11. Re-install the stem unit into sillcock and tighten with wrench.
  12. Turn on water and test your work.
Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Thanks. Too hard to do. It would require for one faucet cutting a hole in basement ceiling, after removing all the books and disassembling the book shelf under that spot.

The other pipe is accessible, but iits above an old wardrobe, armoir, that's full almost to the top with camping equipment. Very hard to do the job without moving the warddrobe; hard to move the warddrobe.

Nothing is at eye level like in the video.

Reply to
micky

re: " Too hard to do"

Imagine how "hard" (and expensive) it will be to clean up the mess when the spigot freezes and the pipe bursts.

I guess you will have to stick with either draining your spigot or

*hoping* that the styrofoam cover works.

I certainly wouldn't trust a styrofoam cover. It's not like it generates any heat.

Try this experiment: Buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and put some water in it. Leave it outside in freezing weather and let me know how it works out. Why would that be any different than putting a styrofoam cap on a spigot?

I open my spigots and turn the shutoff to the spigots off. If they freeze and burst the pipe inside the house, I'll get about 3 feet of

1/2 copper pipe worth of water. I can live with that.

In the 25 years I've been in the house, it's never happened.

If fact, the only time I know of that the spigot froze is the year my son turned the shutoff on, went outside, turned the spigot on and nothing came out. He didn't know what was going on (he was 12) so he just walked away. A few days later my wife came home from work to find the spigot gushing water. It had warmed up enough to thaw.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Umm, you just now decided to explain to everyone what this "wall" is and what the pipes are feeding ?

Your idea of using that irrigation cover is a joke unless you are planning on digging a lot more out and putting something in the ground under it to support the weight of the flagstone and stonedust pack material you are going to set it on -- those irrigation boxes are designed to be set in the ground at the same time as the irrigation pipes/valves with a hole for the pipe to pass through drilled in the side of it in a lawn area without heavy stones pushing down on it, it sort of "free floats" in the dirt and the grass doesn't weigh it down in any way which would make it sink into the ground further...

You are going to have to remove decent portions of two sides of the support frame for that irrigation valve cover -- you need to set it solidly on something underneath which will support it so it does not settle and undermine the flagstones you plan on installing...

You say you are surprised by the wire, yet you are aware of the presence of landscape lighting... LOL...

Wow, thanks for describing what the wall was for, what you were planning on doing and asking us all about the "mystery pipes" that popped up out of the ground when you dug it up to do some work...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Whoever put them there did no cement up the hole in the foundation. You likely have water leaking into the basement, and that may be worse now that they are uncovered. You should cement up that wall around the pipes. All you need is a small amount of sand mix concrete. Clean out the dirt, clean well, and fill the hole. Since it's always tough to do this around multiple pipes, some "Great Stuff foam might work better, but then apply tar over it, because that Great Stuff might absorb water. Either way, clean the hole out real well first.

Reply to
jw

Why not dig a little further and confirm what they are? If they are for water can you have them exit the house at a lower elevation? If yes, reroute them lower and you won't need a cover of any kind.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I live in Baltimore too and I have seen in my lifetime, I belive back in the mid or late 80s, it get cold enough to freeze and break pipes _inside_ an unheated house. So I would say, yes, drain and shut off the line to your outside faucet. That said, it does have to get down in the teens for at lease a couple days straight before that happens, and the weather forecast is usually good enough to give fair warning.

Reply to
Larry W

Hi Oren, I just got this (it's night) so I'll look in the morning. From memory, the wire seemed to have two thick lobes but that's all I know at the moment. I'll look and snap a closeup in the morning.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

That's not going to happen. I've been here 28 years. It's nol happened yet and the world is getting warmer.

The question is, can I stop putting the styrafoam covers on the faucets.

I thinik heat comes out through conduction in the pipe. After all it's 68^ in the house, only a few inches away.

I should find out if my neiighbors drain the last few inches, but I keep forgetting when I see them so I haven't asked even one. Thanks.

LOL

Not related really but I found a horizontal pipe in a brushy field near an expressway that was shooting water out 5 feet before it started to fall down. Took me calls to 3 offices before the water companyturned it off. But that was after the ground downhill from t here was flooded for 2 years. All from that pipe.

Reply to
micky

Just to update the pipes which popped up as I was digging for a walkway...

Both irrigation covers I bought were all too small.

But then, all that digging uncovered a foundation so, on a whim, I started laying sandstone as tile and as flagstone (two different walkways in progress resulted):

So, the pipes are on hold for the moment ... until/unless I finish the walkways and stop starting new projects without finishing the first!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee