Pipe to Septic Tank

Page 3 of 3

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

null and void above the 45th parallel (too cold for me). Still, his best bet is to call the municipality for options.
--
Grandpa

Plant a garden statue over it.

As others have said, you need to find out for sure what it is, before you go fiddling with it.
If by "new house", you mean a house that was newly constructed, ask the builder. If by "new house" you just mean new to you, then ask the sellers if they know what it is. If they don't, ask the house inspector (you did have the house inspected, right?). He's probably seen just about everything in the way of weird pipes, so might be able to help.
Asking around the office, some people have seen things like you describe--to let air into underground oil tanks. Does the heating system use oil? Or perhaps there is an old buried tank?

When builder finished our new subdivision 6 years ago, everyone of us who have a slopped backyard had a a 4" black pipe stick out of the ground for 2' to 3'. The plumbers did not know how the final grade would look like so they left cleanouts high enough so that they can be sure they wouldn't be buried at end. Some of us asked the builder to cut the pipes to the ground level. Those of neighbours who did not, still have those black metal pipes stick out of the ground 6 years later.

LOL.
In another 20 years, the new owners will think they are sacred totem poles.

To this point, a pipe was not cut locally as it had cement pad with the pipe being enclosed. After the pour and cure - pipe cut and capped.
I agree this septic system did/does not have a vent! Further. I have never seen a septic with a vent!
Wobble the cane. Will it pull UP? Does it simply hide a valve in the ground for a new buyer to discover? -- Oren