Pipe to Septic Tank

Page 2 of 3

The first of which is to dispose of you. Good bye.
wrote

why?

I bet you could tho.

And plant some evergreen shrubs around it.
(I just can't believe they'd vent sewer gas at a level where kids with matches could have a "blast" at Holloween).

They don't and it ain't a septic tank or sewer vent. All one needs to do is bend over an sniff - no crap = not a sewer/septic vent.
Harry K
car crash wrote:

Don't touch it! You might blow up!

Related to OK SUK WHANG, died 1990? Born August 18, 1901? -- Oren

If it ain't broke....

Hold on Uncle Jed, I can git this! -- Oren

Don't konw about your situation, but I see a possible similarity with a n'hood I walk through a couple times a week. The n'hood I'm thinking of has city sewers, but it is about 10 years old and each front yard has a 4 inch white plastic pipe vertical in the yard. Some are even with the ground and not really visible because of the grass. But others are up to 6 inches (not 3 feet) high, and look really ugly. I think for many of the owners it is their first house, and they don't have nerve enough to do anything. If I lived there, I'd figure they cut the pipes without knowing where they woudl go or how high the dirt would be, and I'd cut the pipe off as low as the lowest one in the n'hood.
In your case I'd do what you're doing, ask what it is for, but if it is for an air vent, I don't know why it has to be anywhere near as high, or as big a diameter. Or why it would have to hook over, when one could cut V's or U's in the end edge of the pipe and then attach a cap a little bigger than the pipe, and it would vent through those. I am not a plumber.
But I'd also ask the builder, or the builder's plumber.
I don't know why it should go higher than the traps in the house, unless one was trying to avoid siphoning water through the septic from the pipes in the house, which I don't think could ever happen anyhow.
I would ask again what it is venting. I can sure be wrong--- just ask my wife-- but I've not seen a septic tank with a vent other than the roof top vents normal to the house. Is there a chance it is something to do with a radon system? The candy cane is a great illustration to use, and it sure is typical of some form of vent. Speedy Jim could perhaps indicate whether or not a Studor type vent would be adequate under the circumstances.
Does it lend itself to being buried in a decorative rock berm with appropriate plantings?
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Yes! I like the decorative effect!
No, a mechanical vent would defeat the purpose in this case; the vent allows air to circulate and, maybe more important, to permit large flows of water (toilet flush/washing machine draining) to push the air ahead of it without restriction.
Jim

I read the whole thing hoping someone would mention that. I have never seen a septic sytem with a vent. And one in front of the house makes no sense. Who in their right mind wants to walk around their yard smelling crap. Yes, any vent to a tank will smell of crap 24/7. It appears to be a vent for something but for a septic tank it ain't. Mine runs through a dry well before it goes into the drain field. Capped with a concrete cover but even from the few cracks that are under the cover I can smell it.
Harry K
car crash wrote:

First off, you need to be absolutely certain if you have a septic system or are connected to the municipality sewer line. IF its a septic system, you better have some documentation showing the tank's location and the extent of the drain field. Since you probably didn't get any of that at closing time, you are most likely connected to a sewer system. Call them and ask them what the pipe is for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't find anyone who knew about them.
--
Grandpa

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will not vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if that would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet of snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

Why couldn't they just bury a pipe and run it back to the side of the house and up 3 feet? Or the OP do it? It might cost a few bucks but it is better than a white plastic candycane in the middle of the front lawn. Unless you're a dam' white reindeer.

For the third time in this thread.
IT AIN'T A SEPTIC TANK VENT. Septic tanks DO NOT HAVE VENTS (other than the ones sticking out of the roof).
Harry K

I didn't say it was a septic tank vent. The OP says he knows it's not a clean-out

To chime in with Ed, I would make damn sure I knew what this thing was, and what function it performed. If it is a vent, and you cap it off, the gas will escape somewhere else, maybe in the house. That would be fun. Or a raw sewage backup in the house. Six weeks of strange odors. Digging through the snow, into frozen ground, redoing it back the way it was.
Call up your local municipality, or find someone who can give you the answer to what it is. Opinions here are free and worth twice that. Someone in your area can give you some real time info.
I have not seen one in my part of the country, but I am not so stupid as to say that they are not necessary in yours. It could have to do with water table levels, soil compaction, some special septic tank vent, percolation rates, or many things that if you go changing, might come back to bite you hard in a sensitive place.
Find out what it is. Then do whatever you think is appropriate. If it is necessary and functional and has to stay, make it look like an antique pump or some lawn ornament. If it is not necessary and functional, you won't be capping something that's going to cause your house to back up with sewage while you're away for the weekend.
Get the facts first, then act.
Steve

I think I finally recall seeing a 2 or 3 of these over the years, and they weren't in anyone's yard. So maybe it has nothing to do with his house. I have the most vague recollection one being near long distance gas lines, but I could be wrong or that could be a coincidence.