pipe cleaner

my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that is used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so into every drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria eating the stuff in the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of this? is it BS?

Clorox Bleach
SeaKan wrote:

Yea, I use it all the time and the pipes have not clogged. Well really in over 40 years of home ownership I have never used that stuff and I have never had a pipe clog. I had someone dig through a drain pipe of mine once when they were putting in a footer for a garage, but I don't thing that counts.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:15:34 -0400, "SeaKan"

I don't think so. I know my dinosaur protector works. I've been using it for 20 years and in that time, there hasn't been a single act of damage by a dinosaur reported in the 48 adjacent states, of the USA.

mm wrote:

Reminds me of the Maverick show when he took a job as camel watcher.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
The replies so far haven't really answered your question.
I bought a similar product at Home D last year and use it in the basement utility sink where the washing machine dumps into, I use for cleaning paint brushes, etc.
So far, no clogs but can't say whether the good news is the result of this product.

I have seen such products used in restaurant drains. It came in 5 gal buckets, and was apparently dispensed by some sort of automatic machinery.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q cterial+drain+cleaner
Bob

In my old house, the kitchen sink drained trhough a very long branch until it reach the main 3" sewer pipe in the house. This pipe only was proned to clogging due to garbage disposal mulch not completely flushing down the line when used. I cleaned it every 2-3 years, fortunately there was a cleanout outside for this purpose. I suppose such a chemical aid might help in that situation but most of the other pipes have more slope, less length and bigger diameter.
If you like to using many oily bath products and had long hair, such a product might also help in the bath drains but for the most part, as long as you run the water for a bit after rinsing products down the drain, it won't build up much.
If the plumber had cleared a drain and saw such a high risk situation, his recommendation makes sense but since he was just installing a faucet, I suspect the recommendation was just a sales opportunity.
They use bacteria to eat up the oil in oil spills, and it prob keeps growth of nasties like mold down. I use clorox once a weekend, and pour a pot of boiling water down mid-week. For household drains, it is likely BS that you need this cleaner. He prob. gets a comission.
I have a double kitchen sink joined by horizontal pipes that go into a "T" down into the main drain. Sometimes I get a clog where when you plunge one side, it comes up the other side. I finally figured out , if you use a team effort, and plunge BOTH sides at once, it works. The drain usually stimks when this happens, so I guess its food buildup. I have fine mesh cups in the sink drains, and it really keeps the catfood from going down the drain, so I'm thinking it comes from the dishwasher. Debi