Pink stuff in sinks, tubs, and water bowls

I keep finding pink colored stuff in the sinks and my cat's water bowl. I can't see them unless I empty the water and rub the sink and bowl with a white cloth. I don't know what the stuff is. I do know that I have hard water and I use water softener pellets but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Oh and I have well water. Any ideas on what this stuff is?

Reply to
Mike

It has to do with the hardness of the water. I have to scrub my toilets twice a week to keep them looking decent and I have city water. Pat

Reply to
Patscga

Do you drink this water?

Boden

Mike wrote:

Reply to
EL

That's pretty common in my area and is caused by iron in the water. I have a simple "whole house" water filter in our pump house that stops the majority of it, but a little still sneaks by. The filter is usually a dark reddish/brown by the time I change it.

In any case, you may want to have your water tested just to be safe. Most companies who are trying to sell water softeners and whatnot will test your water for free (for minerals). But, you probably should have a lab test for bacteria and other contaminants that could make you sick. Our county health department will perform these tests for a small fee.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Actually, if its pink, and jelly like...its a form of mold... I have had iron in my water before, and a rust stain, is NOT pink.

Reply to
CBHvac

I used to think it was a kind of mold, but recently learned that it is more likely a common bacterium called Serratia marcescens. Bleach kills it. It's all around us, found in soil, water, on plants and in animals, and is one of the most common microbes, so there's not much to be done about it otherwise.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Could be... The only way to know for sure is to have your water tested...

A matter of perception. I'm not talking hot pink here, but our tubs and toilets show a pinkish tint from the iron in the water. I suppose if I want to get technical about it, it's actually a light reddish brown. But, it looks pink to me... Ha. Ha.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Just pale pink - it's a form of algae or mold. We have it in FL and used to get it sometimes when I lived in the Atlanta area. Just swish it out with clorox.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

"Tom Miller" wrote

This is correct. It is (usually) not visible in the water, colonies attach to the water bowl, usually under the water and it must be wiped off; it doesn't leave by pouring the water out of the container. But now it sounds as if the story is changing.... either to pink water or caused by iron. Iron does not cause pink water. It does cause from tan/yellow to orangish rusty and to dark brown though. A greensand iron filter regenerated with potassium permanganate (poison) and not working correctly can cause pink water. That water should never be ingested.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser