Pink Stain / Slime in Plastic Shower

My local public water plant says that a pink slime/stain on my plastic shower surface is from bacteria in the surrounding environment that like plastic and the nutrients in water. I use scrubbing bubbles every day but it doesn't seem to help much with this build up. Anyone know the low-down on this issue and if my water plant is correct?

TIA, Dan

Reply to
dan

Tom Kendrick

Do a search for "pink snow" If I think it's what you're describing it's basically a benign algae but I'd crack out the chlorine bleach and scrubber to get rid of it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Its a type of algae . use bleach or a cleaner with bleach like X-14 or something. (If its hard it could be mold in water deposits, use CLR)

Reply to
No

I had the same problem shortly after I moved in to my current apartment. I knew someone who, in her own words.. "makes the water for the town". I guess it's a treatment facility. At any rate, she'd never heard of it. She asked her supervisor and neither had he. Within a week, in their professional pulication, was an article about pink stain. It was somewhat vague, but what I gathered was that it was a bacteria that grew in hot water only. Similar to mold, you just keep it clean. However, the root cause could be in my hot water heater. My concern is... how safe is it. It reccomends not drinking the hot water. I stick my face in the "bacteria" hot water every morning in the shower, as does the rest of my family. If their was mold coming out, I certainly wouldn't be bathing in it!!! If it is of concern, I should think the landlord shoud replace my hot water heater. Although it could be in the pipes, as well!! Sorry, I am not of much help!! Good Luck

Reply to
ktbona

[...]

Do a google search pertaining to the pink stain. you'll find that it is actually an airborne bacteria that causes it. It has nothing to do with the water.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

why do you say cheap bleach? or you just mean it's cheap.

yeah, bleach is cheap.

you know bleach does not remove the mass, it just bleaches it to where you can't see it. it removes the color, then the bulk becomes transparent..

Reply to
chili palmer

???!!! I never knew that!

Do others agree?

What DOES remove the mass>

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

aspasia wrote: others agree?

juss means it doesn't remove the "stuff", it just turns the "stuff" clear... it appears to be gone..

now Im not saying that a super fantastic water softener like bleach will not remove the "stuff".. it certainly could... butcha see... you got to scrub that stuff off

it's not like bleach is going to dissolve the "stuff"

we only think it's gone because we don't see it

for example, you can't see me right now, but I'm still here!

YES! THANK GOD! I AM STIIIIILLLL HERE

HALLELUYAH!

WOOOOOOOOOOO

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

CAN I BUY AN AMEN?

I can't get no help UP IN HERE!

AIN'T NOBODY HEARING ME!!

I shoulda been dead by now, I should been long gone asta lavista, frank sinatra, bin laden..

but i am still here

Reply to
chili palmer