Pinging mm

Mr. mm,

I tried your approach to the HVAC condensate drainage problem discussed here a couple of weeks ago. Arranged the drain hose to make an immediate steep descent right to the floor at the unit and then temporarily ran the hose from there across the floor to the drain. For whatever reason it worked just the way your fix worked for you. I don't understand it, but it works like a charm. Drainage problem has disappeared.

Now that the floor under the unit is dry once again my chore is to permanently alter the piping to accomplish the same results the temporary arrangement is producing. Hopefully, this is doable, but the normal drain is a sink that is quite a few feet from the HVAC, and as would be expected is at a higher elevation than the floor drain.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It's almost uncanny that my circumstances so closely mirrored your own. Amazing. Thanks again.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

That's great. Glad to hear it.

Of course I still don't get it. Didn't your AC also work well for several years, like mine did??

Well if worst comes to worst, they sell little condensate pumps, which automatically go on to pump the water up from some sort of pan, and in the case of friends of mine, all the way to the ceiling and across the hall and down to the sink.

I've benefitted too, even though I remain confused.

I was hoping you would get back to me, good or bad. Thanks. and especially because it's good.

BTW, I forgot to say before, even though I had seen no evidence of such things, the water I flushed through the pipe was also supposed to flush out any spiders or nests. There was a lot of water, running fast, and I'm sure it would have done so. I believe I looked at the sump afterwards and saw nothing floating on the water, and it worked no better after I ran the water through it.

I didn't do the pipe rearranging for a couple more years, and at that time, I looked and still saw no insect stuff. And I used the same plastic pipes, just rearranged with a couple added couplings, without any effort to flush them. So the drain pipe was not clogged.

For my EMAIL FRIENDS: In my case, the pipe originally ran down only 2 or 3 inches, then horizontally to the wall and then down to the floor. After working fine for 10 or 15 years, the AC condensate stopped coming out the drain pipe into the sump, and instead overflowed the pan inside the furnace/AC unit, and went down to the floor inside the furace and then ran across the floor, getting lots of things wet. Making the pipe go down 2 feet instead of 2 or 3 inches before going to the wall solved my problem. But I don't know why. Because I saw no reason for it to work, it was 3 years before I thought of this plan, and two more before I did it.

Reply to
mm