Ping Trader_4 - GG Issue

Page 1 of 2  
Trader_4,
Are you seeing multiple instances of the same thread in GG these days?
I'm seeing threads showing up with the same subject lines containing only a few posts. It really makes using GG a major pain and it seems to be getting worse.
Some examples:
There are well over 20 instances of Guns in America
Re: OT: Guns in America (5) Re: OT: Guns in America (3) Re: OT: Guns in America (3) Re: OT: Guns in America (5) etc.
Same thing for More Trump:
Re: OT - more Trump (4) Re: OT - more Trump (5) Re: OT - more Trump (3) Re: OT - more Trump (2) etc.
and Idiot lights-out drivers:
Re: OT Idiot lights-out drivers (2) Re: OT Idiot lights-out drivers (1) Re: OT Idiot lights-out drivers (5) Re: OT Idiot lights-out drivers (3) etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:38:03 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, started in the last week or so. I wasn't sure what was going on, I thought since most of them are ones started by the trolls, that maybe they were starting all these new threads. But I see some are also from posters who aren't trolls too. So, IDK, I guess it's a GG problem? Whatever it is, like you say, it makes viewing it a real mess. Plus there seem to be less OT threads of any kind recently.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:52:13 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

In addition, they all start with Re: which, as you know, is what happens when an email is replied to, not a usenet post.
A quick scan seems to indicate that there are no subject lines starting with Re: that *don't* repeat, so it has to be related to how/why Re: gets attached to those subject lines.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DerbyDad03 wrote:

In my case, it is because the thread of the message to which it is a reply is no longer on my computer. However, that is with a news reader, not GG, have no idea how GG does it. Or even why GG exists :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 05:37:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you thought about it a minute you would know. When people change the subject line to indicate thread drift, Google does not recognize the change. Real news readers do. Google also ignores any post with the "no archive" bit set, I guess because Goggle refuses to forget anything.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

1) Posts are threaded by the References: header. This has a reverse-ordered list of unique message Id's that preceeded the instant message. If the newsreader breaks the References: header, google groups and newsreader clients will not know which thread the newly posted message resides in and will thus create a new thread for it.
2) X-No-Archive is not a standard NNTP header[*], thus there is no requirement for any news server or archive service to honor it.
"When DejaNews was purchased by Google, Google continued to honor the X-No-Archive directive. Other newsgroup archiving services have also followed in DejaNews' footsteps, though the decision not to archive X-No-Archive messages has been entirely voluntary."
[*] Header tags starting with X- are inserted by newsreader clients and are completely ignored by standard news servers such as INN, C-news or Typhoon.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:24:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

All I know is when I set the no archive bit, our google users do not see my posts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 11:30:51 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I understand that. For example the "Square D electrical panel question" thread shows changes of subject lines *within* the posts, but not on the main thread list page. For example, when Stormy changed the subject line to "Re: G Fretwell picture" I see that in the *body* of the posts. However, all posts in that thread are showing up in a single thread under the original "Square D electrical panel question" subject line on the main thread list page. I assume that that is what you mean by GG not recognizing the change.
However, in the cases I mentioned in my OP, there does not appear to be any change of subject line, at least not that show up within the post itself, because I don't see "Re: Some Other Subject Line" when I view the body of the post.
What I do see is "groups" of 1, 2, 5, etc. posts all using "Re: (original subject line)" on the main thread list page.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/16/2016 11:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was wondering why do you prefer using GG instead of a better news reader? Even thunderbird is a step up from GG, I think.
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 12:56:07 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

3 (rarely 4) different access methods - 2 PC's and a tablet (rarely my smartphone)
1 PC is corporate system with no ability to install a newsreader.
I can open GG on any device and they are all synced. I know other news readers can do that, but GG is the only available access on the corporate system, so I choose to stay consistent across all devices.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/16/2016 3:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some ng's won't accept a GG post. I had to use them on a business machine but on home pc use TB. Posting from tablet or phone is tedious and I don't do it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/16/2016 2:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You can use a thumb drive and install thunderbird on it and take your newsgroups AND email with you to any pc any time. :)
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:24:00 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Obviously you've never experienced a locked down corporate PC to which no extermal media can be connected. The only thing the USB ports can be used for are mice, keyboards and charging smartphones. The OS disables the media portion of the smartphone, presenting the massage "External media device disabled."
BTW I just looked everywhere on the iPad I'm typing this post on. Can you tell me where to plug that thumb drive in?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:37:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

They are just saying "we are not paying you to fuck around on the internet, get back to work"

Nobody made you buy an apple. Your cult leader does not think you are worthy of a USB port.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 9:36:24 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Old story, heard it all before. If you knew how I got paid, you'd think differently.
They are actually saying "For security reasons, no external input or output devices are allowed on our networks."
Many sites are blocked, especially those that allow downloads or uploads, again, for security reasons. GG Is not blocked, by their choice. They could block it with a couple of keystrokes if it was a concern.

You make it sound as if I was complaining. I wasn't. I was simply pointing out that the suggestion to use a portable newsreader on a thumb drive is not an option, neither at work nor on my iPad.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/16/2016 7:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was thinking tbird could just be downloaded onto the iPad, but I had a different tablet (it worked on my tablet).
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:30:21 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

As a standalone, iPad only solution, tbird might not be a bad idea. In fact, I used to use NewsTapLite on my iPad, which is a dedicated newsreader app.
However, I still have to adhere to the main restriction related to accessing usenet: The fact that GG is the only thing I can use on my work PC. For consistency sake, I use GG on my work PC, my home PC, on my iPad (in desktop mode) and smartphone and any other random PC that I might sit down in front of. Anywhere that I use GG it all looks the basically the same.
One more thing to keep in mind: While I appreciate all of the suggestions, I was never actually asking for or looking for an alternative. I was merely asking trader_4, who I know uses GG, if he was seeing the same "split thread" issue that I am. Granted, I did voice some frustrations regarding the readability of GG because of this fairly new issue, but I did not mean to give the impression that I needed/wanted a different way to access usenet.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/17/2016 11:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've used tbird on my laptop, and pc, and via a thumb drive, but on my android smart phone I found an app called Groundhog that works pretty well. I guess I just look for the easiest app to use on whatever device I'm using at the time. When I had my tablet I used Groundhog on it, too.

I was just curious why you'd choose google groups vs something that might be easier to use. Everyone has their own reasons for what they use.
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:38:01 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not to mention that if I'm using someone else's computer, for whatever reason, I don't want to install anything on it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:58:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

you can put Agent on a thumb drive run it straight from there. It does not need to be installed. Pull out the drive and take it all with you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.