Ping Hey Bub

I am working on an article looking at rural physicians. How rural is Tyler, Denton and McKinney compared to say, Pocotello ID, or Casper WY? Are they really at least semi-rural or are they really just suburbs of a big city. I am looking for at least an hour or two drive to a big medical center.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Neither semi-rural nor suburbs of a big city. They are cities unto themselves. Each has a population greater than 100,000, which is twice the population of Pocotello or Casper.

Tyler, with a population approaching 100,000 is not what I'd call "rural," and it's not a suburb of anything. The closest larger city is Dallas, about

100 miles east.

Likewise Denton, with a population greater than 100,000 could not really be called "rural." It's closer to Dallas than Tyler, about 40 miles northeast.

McKinney is about 30 miles north of Dallas and has a population of about

130,000. Again, not in my estimation a "rural" town.

Texas has 254 counties (a couple larger than some states) and you can find lots of "rural" towns amongst them. Consider Dime Box, or Pflugerville, Chicken Switch, Floating Stick, Little Rabbit, or Left Elbow. (I may have miss-remembered some...)

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm in a Houston sub-division and live in a duplex, or, rather, I live in half of a duplex; the other half is the office for my small software company. That said, I'm six blocks from a Class I Trauma Center, connected to a six hundred bed teaching hospital. Next to the hospital are a couple of ten-story professional buildings housing everything from dentists to thoracic surgeons. This medical center is one of maybe twenty in my large city.

Now arthritis is not the same as congenital heart failure; so it won't be too bad if you have to drive 50 miles each way every six months. Therefore, most anywhere in Texas should be able to accommodate your needs.

Reply to
HeyBub