Pine cones as fire starters

I've got a wood burning fireplace insert that I've used for years. Very recently I saw a thread here that included the suggestion of making pine cone fire starters.
My lot has several pine trees so pine cones are quite plentiful. Grabbed a few dried pine cones and tested them as a fire starter. Worked fine.
Any real difference between using them and the so called "fat wood" fire starters sold commercially?
Jim wrote:

Yes pine cones are FREE! I used to use a propane tourch, worked great and one tank would last two seasons at least for me. It gives you heat where you want it when you want it done.
Rich

They do have some pitch, but that should not be a problem when used as starters. I often used cardboard.

I pour parafin wax in egg cartons. Let it harden. Tear off an individual "cup" and put it under the kindling and light it. Perfect.

I've found they work great,burn very hot. They have a lot of turpentine in them.
Maybe yours were too old and dried up,or wet.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes. If everyone used pine cones, the "fat wood" suppliers would go out of business. The workers would get laid off and be collecting welfare. They could not afford new cars so GM and Ford would start losing money and laying off workers. Our taxes would increase to cover their medical expenses and they will go up because their kids won't be eating nutritious foods and they'd get sick from it. The population would increase because, not working all day, the fat wood guys would be home reproducing. That will increase the burden on our schools in six years.
Damn, you are one greedy SOB for causing all that damage just to save a few bucks. Have some compassion!
wrote in message

GM and Ford will START to lose money????
Bob

My portfolio dropped 30% with Ford's dismal projection. I might have to go back to work as a Wal-Mart greeter. China and Wal-Mart Rock!

imho:
Well they seem free, and only one drawback I can guess, is that you stockpile them in your home, you could be bringing in pests.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

I know many folks who use pine cones...to start fires and other things.