pilot lite

I have a carrier unit and I cannot get my pilot lite to light. I didn't have any problems with it last year..Any advise?
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:47:29 +0000, tocostew wrote:

Dirty nozzle or perhaps enough of a down draft that the gas isn't igniting when it should?
If it isn't obvious, might be safer to have a repair person check over the unit. Faulty systems can produce CO as well as become a fire hazard.
franz frippl wrote:

with everything off can I take the nozzel off and blow it out with an airhose?
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:24:22 +0000, tocostew wrote:

I don't see why not. If orifice is worn, you may need to replace it.
franz frippl wrote:

great thanks for all your help...I'll let you know how it turns out.
franz frippl wrote:

took out the pilot and blew it out with air and everythinkg is fine, guess it doesn't take much to clog it up because I didn't see any trash in it when I took it off. thanks again

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:47:29 +0000, tocostew wrote:

How are you trying to light it? Does it have a glow plug and a bi-metal strip attached to the pilot or is it a simple pilot and thermocouple?
Meat Plow wrote:

Just the simple pilot and thermocouple. I am doing the usual turning it to pilot, push down the red botton and lighting the pilot, but for some reason this year it doesn't want to light.

If you cant get any flame to ignite, the orfice is probably clogged.
If it lights but wont stay lit, you need a new thermcouple.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

great, thanks again...I;ll get it a shot
tocostew wrote:

tocostew;
The pilot is likely plugged by a spider. If you do elect to blow it out, be sure to remount the pilot correctly, otherwies you will have delayed ignition.
It would be in your best interest just to call out your HVAC repair people to do the work. At the very least, they should have insurance if something goes wrong.
--
Zyp

the easy solution is always call someone and thats not 100% effective or affordable......
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 05:30:38 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I always wonder why anyone posts these messages to call a pro. Everyone knows they can do that. People who ask for help are tying to DUI. Otherwise they'd be using the phone book.
People post messages to "call a pro" when the situation is dangerous, or could be dangerous. That way home owners don't hurt them selves with DUI (Driving Under the Influence.)
Heating repair techs such as Don Ocean have seen the disasters that result when ignorant people DUI on their own furnaces.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

< snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com> wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I could understand the reasoning in saying call a pro, anytime you are working with gas it could be dangerous, I made sure that everything was off, elec. gas. before I started working and made sure everything went back in the exact way it came off. Everthing so far is working fine.

Sometimes that is the right advice. Other times people are quick to assume no one can do what a pro does.
When someone asks "I want to add a gas appliance, what direction do I turn the pipe to open the gas line?" Or "I'm finishing my basement and since I'll only be plugging in lamps, it is OK to use lamp cord to wire the receptacles?" I'd have to say to call a pro.
Now, you may say those questions are idiotic, but I was in a house doing some work (I was the pro on a door job) and the homeowner was wiring receptacles using lamp cord.
Great heat. Less igniting. Great heat. Less igniting.
The Pilot Lite debate continues.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.