Pilot light won't light? ? ?

I have a six-year-old Magic Chef gas range -- which has caused me a lot of trouble and expense to keep operating properly.

The current problem: The pilot light won't light one of the burners.

The other three work properly: First you hear a clicking, sparking noise, and the gas lights.

But this clicking, sparking sound does occur on the faulty one.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

It sounds like it does not have a pilot light, but a spark light.

No matter. It usually is something that needs cleaning. Lint, crude etc. built up somewhere or something out of alignment. It mostly takes some looking around to find out what.

BTW those spark igniters are a little sensitive, so if you are not comfortable working with them, I suggest you find someone who is, or you might cause more damage than good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

We had that problem in a relatively new stove, and after reading something somewhere, I decided to try cleaning it well. I stuck the parts that the flame goes around in a baggie with a half-cup of ammonia and left it for a day or two (nontoxic oven cleaner method), then after the fumes had a good chance to "steam" everything off, I scrubbed well, dried, and replaced on burner.

It worked like a charm. This might work for you also, and I sincerely hope it does.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

The module that makes the "spark" can be faulty. Remove the steel cover off of the gas inlet (under the burner). That little igniter...make sure it's clean. If you have frequent boilovers and stuff they can foul the igniter. Clean it well; if it still fails you'll need to replace it. Not sure how much the part is, I had one done a few years ago (the repair guy told me what caused it, we haven't had any problems since).

Reply to
ryeish

Good answer if you assume the OP's post has a typo and he meant to say "does _not_ occur".

As well as cleaning, I found that I could get better performance from one problem burner by slightly bending the steel bit over the sparker so that the gap between it and the sparker was slightly reduced. If you look at the other burners and see where the spark forms and jumps to, you'll understand.

HOWEVER! - I noticed that some of the newer electronic ignition stoves have a very different design than my older one and this fix is not likely/possible.

I was also told by a repair person that there are basically only two versions of electronic ignition (i.e two OEMs) and only one is reliable. Mine was unlike either of these two types. I haven't looked in a few years, so there may be newer, improved versions now. IOW, YMMV.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

He didn't say if he saw sparking, just that the sound occurs - which happened with mine too. For some reason it sounds like all of them click when you turn the one on.

Reply to
ryeish

The malfunctioning burner has no clicking sound at all -- just the hissing of gas that won't light.

So, no, I haven't seen any spark. But I don't see sparks with the functioning ones either.

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

Hi,

Some stuff that may help....