pilot light problems

We have a propane powered vent less gas log set in our home. It came with the house( so its probably a cheaper model) and is about 16 months old as is the house. It has a standing pilot light. Our problem is that when we have to change propane tanks it is almost impossible to get the pilot light operating again. We have tried everything in the book and still no pilot light restart. The last time we ended up calling the service company and the tech bled the gas line at the unit. Is this a common problem with vent less units or do we have a defective unit? Also do they make vent less units with out a pilot light? I would love to put in a vented system but that is cost prohibited for retired people like us!
Any suggestions etc would be appreciated! Thanks
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-5, ENZO's DAD wrote:

h the

the

ating

art.

he

o we

tired

I'm not an expert, but I have worked on a few and have lit many more. I hav en't seen any newer models that have a standing pilot light (only). They ha ve a piezo-electric starter that lights the pilot while you hold a button d own. (which you have to hold down for a minute) You probably have a bad the rmo-couple, which is the bulb/tube device that the pilot heats to keep the gas valve functioning.
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, ENZO's DAD wrote:

I take it you're using the small 20lb tanks? So the problem is that the flame goes out and air gets in the line while switching tanks. Then depending on how long the line is, I guess it could take a long time of holding the valve and trying to light it before gas will get there. Simplest solution might be to learn how to bleed the line like the tech did. Maybe plumb in a pipe with a valve that makes it easy to bleed. I wonder how many people use these with tanks that have to be changed versus having propane from a big tank that serves the whole house. Sounds like the manufacturer might not have thought about this problem. What did the tech say? Usual or unusual? Maybe something isn't right with the unit too.
On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 7:44:05 AM UTC-7, ENZO's DAD wrote:

Install a tee, gas valve and a plug for good measure. Next time all you do is take out the plug, open the gas valve, bleed the line, close the gas valve and put the plug back in.
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:44:02 +0000, ENZO's DAD

Hmmmm.