Pilot light is heating the stovetop.

Hi,
I just purchased a Galaxy (Sears) gas stovetop (model 790.6000) which has two central pilot lights between the burners. Everything functions properly but I find when the stovetop is closed the proximity of the pilot lights are such that the actual stovetop gets heated up quite high with just the pilots going.
I've adjusted each of them to be the absolutely smallest that they can be (in danger of going out with a light breeze) and it still has the same effect. I cannot imagine this is correct.
The pilot cage itself has a small arm shield that raises above it I imagine to take the heat of the flame should it get too high. I'm wondering if these are the culprits and need to be bent downward slightly in case they are touching or if there is something else that can be done to remedy this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Scott
The stove will be warm or hot in some spots. This old tech. The electric starters are not warm. Does your unit have sealed burners? I wonder if they don't.

Thank you both for your replies. I suppose it must be so. Its still hard to believe this stove was designed such that the surface remains painfully hot. The stove is actually brand new..I bought it a few months ago because it was the only one under $1500 that fit into the alcove of the original one (for some reason all reasonably priced stoves must have a foot high backing whether theres a display in there or not).
It is indeed an open burner unit.
Not that I'd expect you would but do happen to have an inkling as to where I might find an inexpensive 40" high pilotless gas stove? My exhaustive search produced only this one.
Thanks again,
Scott
New & Improved - N/F John wrote:

Here are several: http://tinyurl.com/7gagp
The 30" ranges start toward the bottom of the list, e.g.: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FGF303CW.html
If you go to www.ajmadison.com you'll see an Appliance Finder (it's in the middle of the page). In the Finder, click on Cooking, then select "cooking ranges" in the category box, you can specify a minimum and maximum height. I used 38" and 40 3/4" just as an example.

That is regular. My mom used to keep my dad's dinner warm by putting it over the pilot when he was late.
Thanks again everyone. I managed to find some other options but it seems as though all 30Wx40H freestanding ranges are simply pilot ignition (I think I've found one particularly ugly two-toned exception).
I still have word into Sears and there is a small amount of hope in that the instruction manual indicates that there is a version of this model that comes with electric ignition.
Perhaps I'll become Amish.
Scott

That's completely normal for gas stoves, at least for the part of the stovetop immediately above the pilot lights. If it bothers you, switch to a pilotless gas stovetop which use electronic starters. These models will lower your gas bills a bit as well.

What does Sears say????
I can not imagine buying a new stove with a pilot light in it.

In most cases, you are not allowed. If the stove has any electrical components at all, it MUST, by law, have electronic ignition. OTOH, it is allowed for Amish, places with no electricity, and some Kosher kitchens. Many new ranges have Sabbath mode.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

What is Sabbath mode, does that mean it will not work on the Sabbath?
wrote in message

According to Jewish religion, now work is to be done on the Sabbath. That includes starting a fire. If the fire is already going, you can use it. Some stoves have provision to keep the fire on. That may not be a perfect explanation, but probably close enough coming from a Christian. As an aside, read up a bit on kosher food preparation and cooking. Modern technology has probably made for some to be of less concern, but they have some very interesting ideas on the food we consume.
Corvus13 wrote:

That is pretty much how stoves with standing pilots are. The heat has to go somewhere and that is why the stovetop gets warm/hot.
Surprised that they still make stoves with standing pilots. That has been considered bad form for a long time because of the wasted fuel.