pilot holes?

Page 2 of 2

Must have been really specialscrews. My leg broke - both tibia and fibula, about 2" above the ankle. It happened while on vacation in Holland. About 4 hours after it broke, I was back from the OR and resting in my hospital room. 12 screws in the 2 plates to get both bones to heal. The Xrays aren't clear enough to see the threads on the screws. I got billed ~7,100 together for both ambulance (685) and all the surgeon's and hospital costs (3 nights - 6,450). Exchange rate was ~US$1.30/ at the time, so US$9,230. There was an additional $150 for medications to get me home. So, if you need to break a leg, go to Harderwijk, Holland to the St.Jansdal Hospital <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

The screws they use for plates are not as complex.

I was thinking of that, but then, it seemed that the plates were more to align the bones,and the screws to make the pieces of bone become one bone again.
--
Best regards
Han

Friends of ours family was vacationing in Germany. 16 yo son had emergency appendectomy. Out of pocket expense to family was just over $50.
Steve
Steve B wrote the following:

They are just trying to advance tourism. :-) But, seriously, how much did they charge their insurance company?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How the heck would I know?
Steve
Steve B wrote the following:

Well, you knew the out of pocket costs. My Out of pocket costs for operations in the US is less than $100. That includes two hernia operations, a parathyroid operation, and an angiogram.. I understand you had bypass surgery. I'm glad it worked out OK for you. That's a lot more expensive operation than what I have had, and a lot less than a appendectomy.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

Sorry, the last clause should read 'and a lot more than an appendectomy'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

FYI, my out of pocket expenses on approximately $150,000 was $2800.
Steve

My bad. I'm just not as anal as you about probing personal areas of other person's lives that don't concern. You, on the other hand ..............
Steve

Having set up thread rolling equipment personally a long time ago in a land far far away, I can say that for a screw as you describe, you really want an artiste setting up those roll dies. Having fought with some difficult ones for a simple single pitch fastener, I can easily imagine the time it would take to properly set that up. Or perhaps they were run through two different machines in two steps?
Additionally, I doubt those screws are made of simple carbon steel, rolled and then heat treated. Might be titanium, and I don't know if you can even roll those, might have to be cut on a lathe?
nate

But how many could you make in a row after you set up the roll dies?

Maybe. That would cost plenty of money.