pilot going out in water heater

I have a 4 year old maytag water heater, has been fine since it was new. Starting yesterday the pilot light has gone out 4 times. The only other thing is that I turned on my central air conditioning yesterday. The water heater and the furnace are in the basement. What is going on? I guess I call the plumber?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Turn the a/c off and see if the problem goes away... If it does then you have a draft issue and you need to call a plumber quick.

The a/c may be pulling the fumes into the duct work.

Reply to
SQLit

Sit in front of the heater (leave the inner baffle plate in place) and watch the pilot. Have someone else switch the blower fan for the A/C on. See if that deflects the flame.

(The A/C blower shouldn't affect the house pressurization, but the coincidence is too strijing to ignore.)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I watched the pilot with the furnace fan off and on and did not see much difference. I lit a match and definitely see a slight draft up into the water heater, so that must be good. The pilot is burning with a low blue flame and every once in a while spits out a little yellow. Maybe the gas line has a problem?

Reply to
Jeff

is that natural gas or propane?

Reply to
joe

Reply to
Jeff

never mind :)

Reply to
joe

mine did that. i changed the thermalcouple and it didnt help. i had to take the burner and pilot feed tube off and blow em out. that fixed it. tader

Reply to
Tater Salad

Well pay close attention to other things in the house when you turn a/c on. Make sure windows are closed and chimney damper is closed. Sometimes it takes a strange situation to get the downdraft started.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert