pilot going out in water heater

I have a 4 year old maytag water heater, has been fine since it was new. Starting yesterday the pilot light has gone out 4 times. The only other thing is that I turned on my central air conditioning yesterday. The water heater and the furnace are in the basement. What is going on? I guess I call the plumber?
Thanks,
Jeff

Turn the a/c off and see if the problem goes away... If it does then you have a draft issue and you need to call a plumber quick.
The a/c may be pulling the fumes into the duct work.
Jeff wrote:

in place) and watch the pilot. Have someone else switch the blower fan for the A/C on. See if that deflects the flame.
(The A/C blower shouldn't affect the house pressurization, but the coincidence is too strijing to ignore.)
Jim
I watched the pilot with the furnace fan off and on and did not see much difference. I lit a match and definitely see a slight draft up into the water heater, so that must be good. The pilot is burning with a low blue flame and every once in a while spits out a little yellow. Maybe the gas line has a problem?
Jeff wrote:

Natural gas

Jeff wrote:

Jeff wrote:

Well pay close attention to other things in the house when you turn a/c on. Make sure windows are closed and chimney damper is closed. Sometimes it takes a strange situation to get the downdraft started.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
mine did that. i changed the thermalcouple and it didnt help. i had to take the burner and pilot feed tube off and blow em out. that fixed it. tader