pigtails?

Is there a code requirement that receptacles be installed using pigtails? Example: an outlet box with two 12-2 cables and a receptacle. Can you just wire through the outlet (use all four screws), or must you create pigtails for the conductors, thus using only two screws on the outlet (plus the ground of course). I am sure that wiring thru was permitted 5 years ago and even more recently, but things change.
Some people prefer pigtails, but they are not required.
Only required if this is a multiwire circuit, where you are sharing the neutral across 240v making two 120v circuits. You need to pigtail the neutral so it is not broken if you remove the receptacle.
Thanks. I thought this was the case but wanted confirmation.

You usually have to pigtail the ground line, because most recepticals only have one screw for the ground connection. Also they down want to take any chance that the ground line will be broken to downline items. The hot and neutral can be wired thru using the two screws on the receptical.

just
and
In Canada, you are required to pigtail hot, neutral, and ground in any case where there is another receptacle 'downstream.' The ground wire must be attached to the box before being pigtailed.
The rationale behind pigtails is that if any one receptacle should fail, the remaining devices in that circuit will still function--not a bad feature...
Mr Fixit eh

Strictly speaking last CEC code revision I checked, you always pigtail grounds, neutrals are pigtailed in multi-wire branches only, and hots do not need to be pigtailed.
Not having ground connected when you remove a device is quite dangerous
Not having neutral connected with you remove a device isn't particularly dangerous but it's _extremely_ dangerous with a multi-wire branch circuit.
Not having hot connected when you remove a device is not a safety hazard.
Is this a recent CEC change? Or are you going by Knight?
Last time I read Knight, Knight said the above, but in addition that _always_ pigtailing neutrals was "better", even if not required in a specific instance.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Knight.

Mr Fixit eh