Pigeon Control

Page 1 of 2
I've been searching for an easy way for pigeon control in a small space under an eve of the roof. One product contains 93% Polybutene (I'm no chemist) and a single gallon of spray cost about 100 bucks.
I would like to use the "sticky surface" approach to run the pigeons off. Is there any similar product containing the Polybutene that can be applied easily? Something with the same affect, but fewer dollars?
I found a BB gun to be quite effective.
Used to have "sticky Stuff" on the ledge outside my window. The pigeons just loved it.
-- PDQ
--
| I've been searching for an easy way for pigeon control in a small | space under an eve of the roof. One product contains 93% Polybutene | (I'm no chemist) and a single gallon of spray cost about 100 bucks. | | I would like to use the "sticky surface" approach to run the pigeons | off. Is there any similar product containing the Polybutene that can | be applied easily? Something with the same affect, but fewer dollars? | | Oren | "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland | and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore | excused from saving Universes."
block off access, and they will forget about your ledge

Don't most people use nail-beds?

There are several methods used to supposedly banish pigeons. Nails, wire mesh, foils, even motorized devices.... I was hoping for the spray/brush on application. It's said the Polybutene irritates the pest and they seek refuge elsewhere.
try putting some fake owls around the area, birds dont like owls
Oren wrote:

BB gun or sling shot.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

    Bob
Put a thin grill over it. Something with 2" squares that you can hardly see. OR string parallel runs of really fine but tough wire. As long as they can get in there, it is hard to get them out. Their scent is in there. My SIL had this problem, and had to take off the ceiling tiles to get all the nesting and young ones out. Once that was done, and it was sealed up with fine wire, they moved on.
Steve

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:04:56 -0800, "Steve B"

They are in a "pigeon-hole" back up in there (enjoying the nearby dryer vent exhaust) I do have some 3/8" metal lath (galv) I can fashion a block/screen to stop them from getting back in there. It's the front of the house so I don't want an "eye sore".

The farther you get away, the less visible it is. Use something larger than 3/8", and it is REALLY hard to see. And you inset it an inch or so to hide it. Not so far that they can perch, though.
Spray it with some paint the same color as your roof or eaves.
Simple, easy, quick, cheap, effective. But it all depends on the configuration. One solution does not fit all.
One of the best things I have seen is to take a fence shocker and some pvc. Make an inviting perch and spiral wire around the pvc. Hook her up. Go out there twice a day to pick up the dead ones so you don't attract attention. Soon, the word goes down the pigeon internet, and they stay away.
Steve Steve

You can do like with other eye-sores. Call it a sculpture.
"The Anti-Pigeon"

I could.

Chicken wire covering, with perhaps every other hexagonal hole cut open and wires bent outward. Nobody likes being poked by those. And, the wire's thin enough to be almost invisible from the ground.

Yes, but when you go to the Borg, ask for it by name ...... pigeon wire ......... or they might give you the wrong thing.
Steve ;-)
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:51:04 -0800, "Steve B"

I don't know if you are kidding or not. But there was a thread many months ago about how hard it was to buy chicken wire because the Borgs didn't want to call it that. The name didn't use the word poultry either. I forget what they call it.
wrote

That story had to have been written by an idiot. Who cares what the wire's called? You walk over to the fence wire shelf. You see what you want. You put it in your cart. I can see where a weak mind might have trouble with hardware cloth (a dumb name) when what they wanted was "that mesh with the little square holes), but you can still put your hands on the product, and make it yours, regardless of the name.
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:29:39 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Well, my memory's not so good. Maybe it was about how hard it was to order a big quantity if the order counter was not next to the wire (which it rarely is) and if you didn't know the sku, because the name didn't work, or maybe they were just ridiculing the name.
wrote

At places like Lowe's or Home Depot, that wouldn't be surprising. I'm fortunate enough to have places like Agway nearby, where if you say "bird fence", the help's smart enough to make the mental leap without any prompting, and know what you're talking about. Sadly, this kind of intelligence is almost a thing of the past.
Do you put it on the eves or do you put it on the cat's paws so he can get them ? :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit