Pieces of brown paper coming from vents???

I keep a pretty close eye on our central HVAC unit (located up in the attic), and vacuum-clean the coils, check for leaks, etc. myself. The last year or so, however, especially if it's been off for a day or two, when it first comes on, little flakes of medium-brown paper, the biggest about like the end of a pencil, come down from some of the vents, about 10-20 pieces over a period of an hour. They're very thin and brittle.
Can anybody tell me what this is and where it might be coming from? I can't see anything like that in the central unit.
Thanks, Ron M. snipped-for-privacy@peacefulhills.net
snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote:

Are you sure it is paper, or does it look like paper?
If it is really paper, I would suspect rodent nesting material.
I would also consider it possible that it may be some brown coating flaking off. Maybe even mud. How old is the duct work; age of home?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

... or mold
Look for other indications of mice, it sounds like nest litter. snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote:

I agree. He has mice who chewed up some paper.
On 1 Jan 2007 11:40:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@rock.com wrote:

perhaps perished duct tape ?