Pidgeons

Page 1 of 2
What is the best way to keep pidgeons from landing on my roof?

a fake owl on the roof make a mobile out of old cd's and hang it up there.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
RSMEINER wrote:

Make a mobile outta KFC buckets......
hwbuckley wrote:

Eat them.
--Goedjn
we used to have an electric wire on the ledges at work. if it's right on the peak of your roof, then something that interferes with their landing would work. a coiled wire or something, perhaps. I've seen them sitting right on top of the fake owl downtown. Maybe you have to move the owl periodically for that to work....

Inflatable owl that bobs around in the wind works well.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

You gotcha be hi-tech with the pidgeons these days. They are getting smarter. The owl needs to rotate, hop around, make owl hoots, and have lightup eyes. You need to connect the owl to one motor to make it rotate, and a solenoid to make it hop. Then connect a speaker and get an owl hooter tape or cd and play the sounds thru the speaker. Finally, put LED bulbs behind the eyes to make them glow, and be sure to use a random dimming circuit to control the eye brightness. You might also consider flapping wings, which coild be achieved using a pidgeon sensing device and a network of gears attached to another motor. I have a feeling you are not taking these pidgeons seriously enough. You MUST outsmart them.

Actually, that's not a bad idea...I just bought a couple of those motion sensor sprinklers to keep the deer out of the garden. Maybe he could get one of those and rig it up top. I'll bet they'd get the idea right quick.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:08:30 -0400, "hwbuckley"

I'm Richard Williams and I disapprove of this message !!!!
WTF cares what you disapprove of? You must be a real whizzer, pal!
| | >What is the best way to keep pidgeons from landing on my roof? | > | | I'm Richard Williams and I disapprove of this message !!!! |

No, don't have a lot of use for the boob-tube. Only TV I watch is what I record for viewing so I can skip the commercials, etc. That said though, I still stand by the unqualified statement the OP made:
WTF cares what the OP disapproves of?
I disapprove of sexual abuse too. Not every one does, though. Plus I disapprove of Maggie sitting in the front seat while speeding home and almost running hubby over in the driveway. Maybe you get that, but not everyone will. I disapprove of off topic, time wasting posters. It's a long list; should I continue?
Pop
wrote: | >| | >| >What is the best way to keep pidgeons from landing on my roof? | >| | >| I'm Richard Williams and I disapprove of this message !!!!

The original comment was just a silly joke, a reference to recent political ads on TV. I got it, but I guess you didn't. Since you do seem familiar with the Simpsons, I'll leave you with this... Don't have a cow, man.
Marge, I think it's time to send Bart to boarding school. Military boarding school.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
H > What is the best way to keep pidgeons from landing on my roof?
Keep harassing them: go outside and clap your hands to scare them off, preferably just as they land or are about to land.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Mommy Dearest: Be good - and don't do ANYTHING to embarrass your parents.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

Line the entire thing with concertina wire. Should get rid of the problem. ;-)
In all sincerity, I've seen many buildings in cities that have broken glass, metal spikes, or some such embedded in their concrete window sills (and all other convenient roosting points). I don't know how feasible such a system would be for a residential roof, but it is a simple, no-hassle solution.
-D.
David Gale wrote:

neighborhood who is putting out food for them. Pigeons don't usually hang out where there is not a regular supply of food. A month or so ago, there was a story in the local newspaper about some woman who had this abnormal fascination with pigeons and was feeding them on a regular basis. Naturally, the pigeons brought all their friends. The neighbors were up in arms because of all the pigeon shit all over their cars and property. They asked her to stop on numerous occasions, and after the woman ignored their pleas, they went to the local authorities to complain, but there was no law against feeding pigeons (there is one prohibiting the feeding of deer, though). There was no solution reported, and the newspaper article was just a public airing of the particular problem.

interlaced 3 inch spikes sticking up. Worked about a month, then the birds started nesting in them, bending a few spikes down and using the rest for anchors.
Pigeons are right up there with cockroaches and sharks in adapting to their environment.
aem sends....