picture hanging on OSB

Would it be OK to hang 23 lb framed picture on half inch OSB sheathing on wall using two screw in hooks? Can't find internal stud because pic is to be hung over fireplace on artificial stone wall which is based on the OSB. My stud finder won't penetrate that deeply.
On Friday, February 21, 2014 6:13:50 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:

I wouldn't use screw in. I would use this type:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-34-Piece-Professional-Picture-Hanging-Valu-Pak-50918/100039637
They come rated for various weights. Ones rated 50lb should be fine. That's what I use for drywall and if they hold there, no reason they won't hold in OSB.
On 02/21/2014 05:13 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:

No , do not use hooks, there are wall hooks specifically designed for the purpose
http://www.ziabicki.com/
Your local hardware store is sure to have something similar.
I absolutely positively assure you these things work. My wife has run a large art gallery for seven years now and got professional consultation on "hanging" a show.
When I first saw those Floreats I just laughed and said they will never work...but they do work absolutely great.
If you ever need to remove them they leave a tiny hole so small you can just dab a little Spackle into it with the tip of your finger, then wipe off the excess...and you probably won't even need to touch up the paint.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:13:50 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson

Get a pair of "monkey hooks" 2 will support 4 times that weight.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:13:50 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson

Just remove the stone, find the studs, and then replace the stone.
Okay so that's not the best idea.
I don't understand the desire for special hooks. I just use two finishing nails. Maybe 1.5 inches for light things and 2" long for heavier ones. I leave a half or 3/4 inch stick out.
The wire goes down all the way into the angle between the nail and the wall, so there's almost no leverage on it.
I like your idea to use 2. I do that and it distributes the weight and makes it very easy to level a frame. and more important, it stays where you put it. I don't know why everyone doesn't recommend two. You stil have to try to place them right though because leveling means moving right or left, and too much of either can look bad.

Be creative. Make something like this to hang the pictures on wires suspended from the ceiling.
http://www.ashanging.com/en/cable-system/
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:04:14 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Very good suggestio. No risk to the stone. I had an apartment with a whatchamacallit once, molding about 7 or 9 feet high, and I hung paintings from it.

Art galleries and museums often use a wire system so they can swap out paintings and other objects quickly and easily. It's very flexible.

Here's a link that shows the flexibility of the cable hanging system.
http://gallerysystem.com/?gclid=CMvOmMyN4LwCFQtgMgodOQEAEg
Yes, the systems shown at that site are more expensive than a nail, but it's the concept I'm trying to point out. It would be a fun and fairly inexpensive project to design your own system, especially if you are only using it for one picture.
Some nice looking ceiling hooks with mollies for support and some cable that matches or contrasts with your decor.
http://www.fritantechnology.com/var/fritan/storage/images/our-products/thick-ceiling-hook/1340-10-eng-US/Thick-Ceiling-Hook.jpg
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:29:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

And fancy apartments, like I used to have. PIcture molding, that's the phrase.
On 2/21/2014 6:13 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:

You have my permission.
--
.
Christopher A. Young