Picky A** Inspector

The inspector won't sign off on my neighbor's deck, saying the Trex handrail at 3.something is too wide to be grabbed, and that 2.5 inches is the widest that is allowed.

Of course, this is the only size the Trex has.

More to come, when it becomes known.

Reply to
John Hines

Is this for the deck, (where I'd be surprised if there WAS a grabability requirement) or for the steps to/from the deck?

Reply to
default

jeez, i see 2x4 rails all over...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

"John Hines" wrote

For a handrail on stairs, this is correct. I'm sure the inspector doesn't have a problem with the cap on the railing. Sounds as if your friend used a cap rail for the handrail, which will be caught every time when a permit is issued.

Reply to
Ronnie

Does that make it right?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Why do you think he's picky? His job is enforcing existing code. If you think code is wrong try to have it fixed. Don't get mad at him. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

thanks, he did it like pg 8, where the railing is run down the stair way.

Reply to
John Hines

go away...

Reply to
xrongor

Agreed. Perhaps there is a local code. Graspability applies to stair railings. To my knowledge, it does not apply to "guards". TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Arguing with a building inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. Sooner or later you realize the pig enjoys it.

Fix the rail, get the inspection. Locally, a stair rail is 2.5" max and you don't get passed unless it meets the code.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

What the hell does an inspector know? A person should not have to be guarded from their own stupidity on their own property, should they?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB